Tuesday 19 November 2013

My Thanksgiving Cactus


Until today I thought I had two Christmas Cacti, one pale pink, almost white, and the other a deep pink, almost red colour. I googled Christmas Cactus and found to my surprise that the pale one is a Thanksgiving Cactus. The difference is in the shape of the "leaves" which are not real leaves but rather "stem segments" which on the Thanksgiving one have 2 to 4 saw-toothed projections and on the Christmas one the segments are rounded.

                                                     This is my Christmas Cactus.

                                     My Thanksgiving Cactus on a quilted table center.
 My Thanksgiving Cactus on the lovely table center cloth that I found just this morning at the thrift store. That's the great thing about thrift stores. You never know what you will find that makes you happy!
                                                 Happy Day,   Granny Marigold

6 comments:

  1. How very interesting! I immediately went to check out the foliage on my one and only Cactus and found out that it's a Thanksgiving Cactus with its jagged edges.....too bad I have no idea what color it is as I can't get mine to bloom....any tips you can share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the usual things that are suggested if you google Christmas Cactus I guess would help. Mine are kept in the sunroom ( South exposure but not in direct sun) and that room is quite cool this time of year. I have never had problems getting mine to bloom so heaven only knows what I'm doing right. Now if only I could get African Violets to bloom for me!!! ( Any tips?)

      Delete
    2. So far, my strategies with my Thanksgiving cactus haven't worked but who knows, maybe one day it will quit sulking. Sorry, I don't have any African Violets so am unable to offer any suggestions. On a different note, I had luck at the Thrift Store this week as well and found a Christmas green fabric table cloth and it, too, made my day as I hadn't expected to find anything that large - it measures 58 inches wide and 198 inches long!!! Absolutely perfect for the 3 tables that we'll be placing end to end to accommodate the extended family at our Christmas gathering this year. As you say, you never know what you'll find that will make you happy!

      Delete
    3. 198" long!! What a find. How many are you expecting for your gathering?

      Delete
    4. If everyone comes, we'll be 25.

      Delete
  2. I never heard of a Thanksgiving cactus before, they're both beautiful. And the two quilted pieces add the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete