Saturday 27 June 2015

Hydrangeas

I am very fond of Hydrangeas but with the hot dry weather I'm having trouble keeping them from wilting. I water them just often enough and with JUST enough water to revive them overnight. Poor Hydrangeas do their best to bloom in spite of all.  These Annabelles are along the front fence. The whites are more vigorous than the pink and are crowding them; next Spring the white ones will have to be dug back a bit.


The Endless Summer is up against the house and in the shade most of the day. It has blooms in shades of pink and blue.

In the back of our lot, in the area we call the wild area are the old blue ones, the first we ever got. In this area are the composters and way in the corner the Pigeon's cage. I've mentioned this bird before. She was found on the parking lot at the Condo/Townhouse Complex my son manages. We think she must have hit a window and was stunned. Anyway, she is banded and tame enough for the little man to take out and "play" with then catch and put back in her cage. We had to clip her wings a bit when she started to fly over to the neighbours!

Here in another corner in front of the kids playhouse and DH's shop are 2 pink Hydrangeas. The one on the left is being covered with the Boston Ivy that covers the arbour . I must get in there with my cutters one of these days.  The blue garbage can serves as yet another water"barrel".

On a totally different subject...  we bought 18 pounds of lovely cherries this morning. Last year we drove to the Okanagan and picked over 50 lbs but it is even hotter there than here and we just couldn't face the drive up in this heat this year. We need more than this so if by chance the weather cools in the next while we'll still go. Otherwise I'll go back to the fruit & veg market and buy another box.
Yes, those three little jars are cherry jam.

I hope your weekend is turning out to be a good one. Thanks for popping by.

                      Granny Marigold

8 comments:

  1. Hi! Your Hydrangea bushes are just gorgeous!!! And your other flowers. I don't like the process of canning but I like the jars lined on the shelves. I freeze a lot! I blog at http://cozythymecottage.blogspot.com/ Your heading picture of violets are pretty too! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hydrangeas. I have an Annabelle and I bought an Endless summer this year. Do you add anything to your soil to change the color?ys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just let them be whatever colour they turn out to be, I have seen some Hydrangeas that are a dark burgundy and I wonder if I could make my pink ones do that. But then I wouldn't have pink any longer. And sadly there is no room for more anywhere on our lot.

      Delete
    2. Your flowers are gorgeous! Are you on water restrictions in your area? That cherry jam looks good! :) You have such a beautiful and interesting yard. I'd love to snoop around!

      Delete
    3. And I would love for you to do just that!! As for water restrictions, so far lawn watering was allowed 2 mornings a week for 2 hours but as of Friday this week no more lawn watering at all. Handheld hose watering for flowers and veg. is still okay, thankfully, but I am now washing fruit and Veg in a pail so I can dump the water on my flowers in pots. They seem to need the most and if this is the way our summers are going to be then I will have to have way less plants in pots.

      Delete
  3. I agree, your garden is lovely! Larry finished pitting all of our cherries today. There is a small amount left to eat fresh, and the rest are in the freezer. I can easily eat waayyyy too many cherries:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a large amount of cherries to pit! What kind of pitter do you have? We have one made by NORPRO which fastens onto a table and has a sort of hopper. Works okay unless the cherries are too big. Cherries are by far my favourite fruit.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is amazing! I would like to taste the cherry jelly!
    Stay cool, GM!

    ReplyDelete