Sunday 23 July 2017

Hummingbirds

These days we eat our meals on the porch and for entertainment we watch the birds that come to the bird bath or the antics of the Hummingbirds. There are at least 5 maybe 6 we can't be sure because they are in constant motion. The pictures below are off the internet. There is no way I could get a decent photo with my point and shoot camera!
I believe these images are of male and female Rufous,; we have them and also the Annas here.




 They seem to like the Butterfly bush and spend a lot of time sipping from those tiny flowerettes that form the drooping sprays. The 2 or 3 that we think are this year's young ones play wild games of chasing each other. No wonder they have to spend so much time eating, they use up energy as fast as they take it in.

       Another big favourite is the Montbretia or Crocosmia. As I was watering earlier a Hummingbird came to investigate the stream of water coming from the hose ( I was making the water arch in the air to reach farther ).  It came closer and closer to me until I actually feared for my eyes. That long beak looked like it could do damage. ( DH reminded me that I had my glasses on so I didn't need to be worried). They certainly don't seem to be afraid of us!


The Hummingbird incident was definitely the high point of my day. No doubt I'll be out tomorrow evening watering and hopefullyhave another close encounter.
Happy new week!!


Granny Marigold


14 comments:

  1. I've tried for several years to entice hummingbirds to our yard, with no success. We will get one every once in a while but not often. This year I did not put the feeders out... maybe I will try again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We seem to have quite a few hummingbirds around the vegetable garden area. I love it when they get close, but haven't had quite the same close encounter that you did!. We have a huge clump of crocosmia, and I was so proud of myself that I got a string around it this year to hold it all together because usually it just all falls outwards and covers a massive amount of ground. Well this year the whole clump stayed tied together but all fell over in one direction. Good grief, it has to stay that way because there is no way we can pull it up. The hummers really seem to like the larkspur as well, it seeds itself every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story about your hummingbird encounter! I haven't seen one yet this year.
    Have a good day!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. how lucky you are to have hummingbirds!

    lovely to have them so unafraid. but even with glasses, i'd worry too, about a tooooo close encounter.

    luna crone

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have been so close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the hummingbird story. That is neat how he came so close. I read once that hummingbirds like to fly through a spray of water. As hot and dry as it is here now, I should try it. We have one feeder that hangs near the kitchen window, but this time of the year the yellow jackets and bees swarm around and scare the hummingbirds away.

    Your flowers are beautiful!! and so are the teacups. I can't imaging finding that many beautiful teacups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby would love for that to happen while he's watering. He loves those little hummers!!! Your flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How neat to see the hummingbird so close. I love to watch them too. If I'm lucky I see two at once. Usually it is just one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have hummers in our garden, but they flit around and we don't often see then, especially up close. I'm just happy that they like our flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only one hummingbird at a time comes to my feeder, but I see them around the yard on various flowers. I have a butterfly bush, too, and I think I'll try to notice if they are liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat about the hummingbirds in your yard and your yard is so beautiful. No wonder they like it there! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought my grand daughter a humming bird feeder that goes on her window. It's a joy to watch those little birds continue to whip their wings as they eat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I'll have to look for just such a Hummingbird feeder.

      Delete
  13. We enjoy having hummingbirds come in to the feeder on our porch while we sit and watch them. We have two for sure and possibly a third one. They look like your first picture. Instead of buying a lot of annuals this spring, I bought red geraniums and put in the flower boxes below where I hang the feeder. It seems to have attracted them. :) I have also seen them drinking from the Hosta blooms. They are so much fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete