Wednesday 26 July 2017

Rattlesnake Beans



Last school year our grandson and his grade 2 classmates sowed Rattlesnake beans in small clear plastic cups. Presumable so they could watch the roots growing. In due time he brought his little bean home and he and Grandad transplanted it on the bean support where the other pole beans were sowed. From the start it grew vigorously; here it has reached the top of the 8' support while the regular ones grew a lot less quickly. ( This was taken a couple of weeks ago and the others have grown a lot but not nearly to the height of the Rattlesnake bean which has now begun to hang down so I'd say they grow about 10 feet high).



This was the very first picking of this interesting looking bean. I believe it is an Heirloom seed. We plan on letting some of the pods mature and keep seeds for next year.
The beans are as tender and tasty as any we've ever had.


Here's one picking of Sugar Peas. They keep hiding amid the foliage and getting too big to eat so Bracken gets to eat those. I seem to be the only one in our household that eats these raw ( except for Bracken),  DH eats them in stir fries. And that tiny tomato was the very first of its kind. I hope we get some ripe full sized ones soon.


Thanks for visiting,

      Granny Marigold


6 comments:

  1. I just asked my husband if he had ever heard of Rattlesnake Beans and he had! I never had. It is quite interesting how tall the vines have grown! I love sugar peas...and yes, I also eat them raw. The little tomato is so cute! We still have not had our first ripe tomato. Maybe it won't be too much longer now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never come across rattlesnake beans before, they certainly have an interesting colour. I like to eat sugar snap peas raw too, a wonderful addition to salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best way to eat sugar peas is raw right off the plant! In my opinion anyway.
    Rattlesnake beans are very interesting looking.
    Have a good weekend!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a super bean!!!!!!!

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you like eating your sugar snap peas when they are flat? I like them best when they are all plumped out with peas, mmmm, nice and sweet, and almost always raw. I feel like I've heard of that bean, does it keep it's colouring when cooked? Fascinating looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer them small and flat if I'm eating them raw.
      Yes, the Rattlesnake beans do keep their colour once cooked.
      How do you like the forecasted temps for the week??

      Delete