Wednesday 27 September 2017

Baking Day

DH's supply of Oatmeal-raisin cookies was depleted so it was time to bake more. Just as an experiment I added some peanut butter to the last bit of the cookie dough.... those are the 6 in the upper right hand corner. The PB overpowered the molasses flavour but otherwise the cookies turned out paler but good.


I baked some apple/pear crisps. The pears this year seem extra good and the mix of apples and pears is very tasty. I baked the one in the Pyrex dish for my youngest son ( who helps me with any heavy gardening tasks) and the smaller ones in Ramekins for DH and myself.  We went over to deliver the crisp to them earlier. ( All 5 of our kids live in this area; the farthest away lives maybe 15 minutes drive. )


The Rattlesnake beans have dried on the plant ( that one plant that the littlest brought home from school last Spring) and are ready to shell. I'm so impressed with this kind that I don't know if I'll bother with any other variety of Pole beans next year. Unless maybe some Scarlet Runners because the Hummingbirds love those blooms so much.



So that was my Wednesday. Having done my baking I think I'll take it easy tomorrow and enjoy what might be the last in the series of sunny, warm days we've been enjoying.

Thanks for visiting,

      Granny Marigold

15 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good! I must make a pear/apple crisp too.
    Glad you had such great success with the rattlesnake beans.
    Enjoy your relaxing day today.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so busy GM and everything looks delicious. I would love to know the recipe for your Apple and Pear Crisp. Is a "Crisp" like a crumble?
    I would never have thought to add peanut butter to chocolate chip cookies... hubby loves the stuff so Im going to give it a try
    Blessings
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phoebe, I think a crisp and a crumble are the same thing. I'll post my recipe tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Oh mercy!!!! It cools down, and she is baking!!!!!! :-)

    My husband loves PB so he'd probably like your experiment.

    Those Crisps sound soooo gooooood!

    We may take a ride over east today, and go to a country cafe to eat. And stop at the apple farm stand, on the way back. :-)

    He'll be due his Apple Pie. And we can both eat Crisps, if I substitute for the regular flour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so scrumptious. You are certainly blessed having your family so close by, we are spread all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good and faithful baker! Wish I lived next door! :)
    I've only grown beans for drying once. (About 15 years ago!) I still have a pint jar of Jacob's Cattle beans (I think they're called) which I kept as a souvenir, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kept picking and eating the beans until the plant got a bit tired, then we let the last pods dry so we could save the seeds. Jacob's Cattle beans sound neat. Probably as mottled as the Rattlesnake ones are.

      Delete
  6. Yummy!! The cookies look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny (okay, I confess, I don't know your name!), what are the triangle baked items? Scones? Biscuits? They look yummy too. How fortunate that all your grands live so close. That's just ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're scones. We split them, toast them and eat them with jam. So yummy.

      Delete
  8. I love your baking days. It all looks so good!! How nice that all you children live close by. You don't hear of that much anymore...not around here. I would love to grow a few rattlesnake beans. Maybe I will go on line and look for the seeds. It is fun to try something new...for next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The results of your baking are very appealing! Are those scones next to the cookies? Pear crisps would be lovely... I made a pear pie one time, and I liked it very much, but my husband didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are scones. I find pear by itself a little lacking in texture ( nice way of saying mushy when baked) so I add the apples.

      Delete
  10. The scones look mighty good, I'd like one right now!🍵🍴

    Hope you're enjoying lots of this BC sunshine.🌞 Good for long walks!

    Happy weekend.🌼

    ReplyDelete