Wednesday 13 September 2017

This and That


It's in-between time.  I'm starting to think about Thanksgiving ( October 9th this year here in Canada)
but I'm still working in the garden. The tomato plants have mostly been pulled up and boxes of ripening tomatoes sit on the outdoor table. I'm going to have to freeze some because I can't keep up even with sending bags home with the kids when they visit.

I have 2 grandsons, one is 8 and the other turns 19 tomorrow. He's quite  a delightful young man.
 The 8 year old likes his teacher ( big relief) and his big sister is in grade 9, first year in high school. She also seems happy with her teachers.All this makes me happy!

I drove my DH to the airport this morning. He's on his way to spend a week visiting his family in Manitoba.  I have a list of things to keep me busy ( like catching up on my scrapbooking) and I started by tidying up my messy desk. You can see the difference in the pictures below. I can't guarantee how long it will stay so neat.



The Sweet Autumn Clematis has taken over the long trellis and even managed to cover this poor Rugosa Rose bush. Can you spot the lonely pink flower on the top that's peeking out?
The Clematis has just beginning to open its thousands of tiny white blooms.





Thanks for visiting today, I hope your week is a lovely one!!  I'd be delighted if you leave a comment.


                Granny Marigold




16 comments:

  1. I used to have rugosa roses, and I loved them. Here, I have knock-out roses. My hubby also is leaving on Saturday to go home to visit his mother for a week, and I ALSO have started making a list to ensure that I stay busy while he's away and I don't pine for him. I really don't like being alone :(
    I do wish our U.S. Thanksgiving were earlier like yours! Ours is way too close to Christmas, and it wears me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow 'regular' Roses too but the Rugosas are so drought resistant and these last summers have been so very dry that it's nice to have at least some Roses that don't need watering ( or pampering in any way!!).

      Delete
  2. i'm not familiar with that autumn clematis. sounds like a great addition to the garden. We have a while yet before we have to remove the ripening tomatoes from the vines. once they started producing, they sure went gangbusters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my your desk in like mine...but mine may be worse! Such a pretty rose way up there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Granny Marigold, that is quite a dramatic difference with your desk! When Chuck was in the Air Force he had to be away at certain times. I too would have a list of things I wanted to accomplish while he was gone. Mostly I got things done. The last time he went away I was set with my list when a friend unexpectedly came into town. Nothing gone done that trip!
    Have a good week!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did smile when you said you would be scrapbooking this week while your husband is away. That's the neat and tidy desk gone Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. That neatness didn't last long but I'm determined to clear it again.

      Delete
  6. It's nice to know the children are liking school, just makes life a little easier!! I have so say, my work space gets very cluttered too, like you, I have to stop every so often and de-clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is some tidy!!!!!!!!!

    Canada's Thanksgiving is so much more sensible. Ours is just tooooo late! Blink your eyes and it's Christmas, after you get up from the Thanksgiving dining table.

    -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard for a creative person to keep a desk or workspace tidy ;-) Have you tried drying any tomatoes? I did one batch that turned out great, I sliced them by hand. Yesterday I picked up a 'new' (from the TS) mandolin that works great, but only two options for thickness, and the slices are too thin. They were dried by last night but were like tissue paper and stuck to the dehydrator trays, so most of that was a failure. As you may have seen on FB, I have loads of tomatoes yet to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mandolin has that same problem of only 2 thickness choices.
      I've done roasted tomatoes but never tried drying them. I quite like the roasted ones and have used almost all the cherry tomatoes in that way. Not going to bother with them next year.

      Delete
  9. You'll stay busy while your hubby is away. How fun to think about your Thanksgiving. We're supposed to have a bit cooler temps tomorrow. I think I'll pull the zucchini plants out.
    Your desk looks wonderful! Well done, Granny Marigold!
    Oh, I'm so glad your grands are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Clematis is so big and pretty. I love your little red Bistro set. One like that would be perfect for the playhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Granny Marigold, It is always easier for us grandmas if our kids and grandkids do well in school. Your flowers all seem to flourish. You must have a green thumb! My desk is a mess a lot of time. Is that a sign of creativity? LOL Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. A desk cleared for working! It's a good feeling to have one of those, and always brings me hope, sometimes even inspiration ;-)

    Have fun while your husband is gone! I bet the time will go fast.

    ReplyDelete