Monday 16 October 2017

Recipe

It's rainy Monday. Being a creature of habit I do my laundry on Mondays. That done I had to bake. Tomorrow is my youngest son's birthday and the day after that is my eldest daughter's so tomorrow we will celebrate them both. As my children get older they buy whatever they want/need so unless I find something that I think they'll really like I  just bake for them. Usually I make Terribly Terrific Toffee only at Christmas but I decided to make some for them as one of their gifts. I took pictures as I was making it and I'll give you the recipe in case you think you might like to make it.

                      Terribly Terrific Toffee

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
about 40 saltine (soda) crackers

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper, spray with
non-stick spray. ( I always forget this step and they've never stuck on).
Lay a flat layer of crackers on the foil.
Heat the butter and sugar until it reaches a boil then lower the heat and simmer uncovered
for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Pour this mixture over the crackers and spread carefully ( don't worry too much about getting every bit covered).
Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until toffee becomes bubbly.
Remove from oven and sprinkle choc. chips over and let them soften enough so you can gently spread them around with the back of a spoon. Let cool and if desired for expediting purposes ( recipe said this, I'm just sayin') refrigerate until hardened. Break into pieces the size of your choice.


                                        Before I put it in the oven...
                                         and after I took the cookie sheet out. Some crackers shifted but that's okay.
                        


It looks a little strange but this stuff is irresistible to anyone with a sweet tooth.

Now that that's done I'll move on to the chocolate cake that will end up as an easy-to-put-together  Black Forest cake.





I hope you've had a great beginning to your week!


Thanks for coming by,



          Granny Marigold



10 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe.
    We had sun today and we worked in the garden all afternoon trying to get things done before the rain sets in for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good but it would be chocolate cake for me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, that sounds delicious!
    It was darn cold here yesterday and isn't much better today. We had a heavy frost last night so I must pull out the annuals that didn't make it.
    Have a good day!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The toffee looks great!! Hmm, maybe you'll be in the mood to make more in about a month or so?? ;-)
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite sure I'll be making some for Christmas!!

      Delete
  5. Yum. My sweet tooth could use something! Happy birthday to all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE those toffee squares! I usually make them with graham crackers on the bottom, but honestly I think the salty saltines might be better. I've also put finely chopped nuts on there too. SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No that sounds like a great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I can almost taste them, GM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks easy and delicious! I just might do better at making this than making peanut brittle. Do you remember the mess I had last year around Christmas time? :)

    ReplyDelete