Monday 11 December 2017

Just 2 Weeks To Wait



It's so dark these mornings that DH has our Christmas trees on timers so they are lit when we come down for breakfast. Just two weeks from today and it will be Christmas Day!!!

This is the creche that had baby Jesus on the roof before I put him in the manger.  We bought this set about 10 years ago.


This set is much older; we've had it close to 50 years and although it's been handled a lot not one figurine is even chipped. It has a music box, the 'crank' is on the side next to the third wise man.
Of course it plays Silent Night.


                   Here's what it looks like in the dark.


A couple of years ago I started looking for sheep and found very few. I found a site that showed how to make simple sheep using 2 clothespins for legs and a roughly cut out shape of a sheep that you wrapped in white yarn. The sheep below, the one with the red ribbon, is a bought one as is the ram. I just found him last week ( thrft store, where else?) but he was just make of ceramic so I gave him a wooly coat using glue and cotton balls pulled apart.



Besides the sheep there are also any number of Teddy bears that ccome out at Christmas time and join the shepherds and wise men at the stable.


Have a wonderful week!  I'm glad you stopped by.

                     Granny Marigold

6 comments:

  1. Are you excited for Christmas, GM? I think you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a good idea, adding cotton to the sheep. He looks good now. I love a nativity set and every year think that I will buy one, but never have. One of these days maybe I will come across one in a thrift store. Just about every piece in my little Christmas village on the mantle came from thrift stores. It's amazing. Your home looks pretty and Christmassy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures! the excitement is just catching :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have started the countdown! I am still heavy into preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of your creches, and knowing that the one is 50 years old is very special! I'm still holding off on decorating. I don't have a lot of space, so I will keep it simple, but you're inspiring me to look through my Christmas box (pared down to one box) and see what I can do. Once again, you're doing a wonderful job of decorating for the season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your creches are very beautiful. I love the lit one. I need to make a handful of sheep like yours, using some of my raw alpaca fleece -- I'm in the (very long) process of making an Advent calendar, and a few sheep would be welcome! Thanks for that good idea.

    ReplyDelete