Thursday 18 January 2018

Thrifty finds


My pictures didn't load quite the way I wanted them to. I was going to begin with the full boxes I was taking to the thrift store and THEN show you what I came back with.  This adorable birdie feels the same way about Winter as I do. She stands over 7 inches high, all wrapped in gray woolly strips and don't you just love her toque?   I wish I knew if she was 'home made' or in a factory somewhere.





                        So here are my boxes/bag of stuff to donate.


The other treasure I found is this book which has quite a story to it.  I quote from the book jacket, " In 1982, 300 rare and beautiful flower paintings were found in the attic of Frampton Court in Gloucestershire, England....They were created between 1828 and 1851 by members of the Clifford family, owners of the house."
It goes on to say that 4 unmarried sisters and their 2 unmarried aunts  sketched and painted an impressive number of the wild plants in their surrounding area.
Apparently the paintings were forgotten in the attic for so many years but once discovered and published they were quite popular.


             A few of the pages, just to give you an idea of what the paintings are like.



The inscription inside the book says  : To Joanne with love, Christmas 1988,  from Grandpa.

Those are my finds for today and I'm very happy that I found them. I was so happy I decided to celebrate and make a batch of yummy scones.






I had a very lovely day.  I hope you did too.

Please leave a  comment so I know you came by,


        Granny Marigold


15 comments:

  1. I like all the treasures you found today, and the scones are making my mouth water. And good for you for giving stuff away before bringing more home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scones look so good. I'm wondering what it was like to find all those paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scones look delicious, the perfect addition to afternoon tea. What a great find with the book, it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little bird is absolutely adorable! I think that the book you found is wonderful, I love it when I get to know the history of such beautiful things. Thank you for sharing and I hope you have a splendid weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scones were SO good! And the winter birdie is just charming.
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those ladies could paint! I think I would have enjoyed living among that group of ladies. ;) Doesn't it feel good to pass along some of your things and then have space for something "new"? The scones do look good. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those drawings of flowers are lovely, that was a good find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little bird is cute, and I don't think I could have passed up the book with the wildflower paintings either. Lovely, as do look your scones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love thrift stores, you can find such cute treasures. I've had a great day, hope you did to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little bird... so cute! I visited our thrift store for the first time since November and found nothing! It is quite bare right now. The flower book is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Those scones look so yummy. The bird outfit looks homade and the book is lovely. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I please have a scone?
    You are the best finder, GM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, GM. The book is just beautiful - what a find! And not just for you at the thrift store -- can you imagine the delight of the person who found those paintings in the attic? That would be a story worth telling! Amazing. And your scones look delicious. They reminded me of the fabulous orange/cranberry (I think??) muffins you shared with us before, and I made too. I need to make them again. They were so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those scones look absolutely delicious. What did you add to them, dried fruit or cranberries? Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. That book and history of it. Was worth the going indeed to The Thrift . You got a treasure. Inside the book . Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete