Wednesday 21 February 2018

More Books







I was so disappointed in the books I bought at the thrift store last week that I made up my mind to choose more wisely this week... and I think I did. These look so interesting!


I'm not sure why I can't make this picture appear the right way.  This C.S. Lewis book is one I haven't read : The Story of his life with Joy Davidman.


This book was highly recommended to me. This is what the back of the book says: Determined to escape to freedom, Simon and Wesley faced danger and hardship fleeing from Romania to Italy.  But their nightmare began in earnest when they crawled into a container of ceramic tiles that was headed across the ocean. Baking in the heat for days in a shipyard, surviving a tremendous storm at sea, suffering from lack of oxygen, and then the agony of thirst, Simon and Wesley both came close to death.


               I picked up this Betsy Byars just because I enjoy her books for kids.


                            My stack of books-to-read ( guarded by a couple of teddy bears)


And one last picture. I can't post pics that show my youngest grands' faces,  but here M is showing his new T-shirt. ( He's in French Immersion) 


I'm off to put up my feet and begin reading.  Hmmm. I think I'll start with the exciting escape one.
Thanks for coming by,



     Granny Marigold

9 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the books. The Price of Freedom would be hard for me to read. The scary ocean scene on the front is too stressful, lol. My favorite C.S. Lewis books are his collections of letters. I also love his space trilogy. Oh, and Surprised by Joy, his autobiography. I've read some of his purely theological writings, but I'm too lazy to think that hard, lol. But I'll keep trying. Cute t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to come to Canada and go to your thrift store with you. Ours carries books, but I've not seen anything as good as what you brought home...especially the C.S. Lewis book! I did actually go on line to Amazon and order the book Simple Days...it is a used library copy but it was a good price. The C.S. Lewis book is next on the list. :) Thank you for sharing all of your books! I love M's shirt! Our granddaughters are in the youth drama theater and are currently working on Mary Poppins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes our choices are a little disappointing but these days I don't read them if I don't enjoy them. Looks like a great haul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of interesting reading. The Price of Freedom sounds like a book that I would not be able to put down until finished.
    Do enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your new books are better reads for you. I'm

    ReplyDelete
  6. That books does sound exciting -- downright scary! I wouldn't be able to sleep after reading it, haha :) I found myself a little disappointed in a couple of my books, and off to the thrift store they went! I hope you enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy reading! You've chosen some great books for those cute teddy bears to guard!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute shirt on your Grand:)
    You have quite a stack of book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the book Simple Days and blogged about it last year. I enjoyed the book. It made me think about simplifying my life in a way that no other book about simplifying ever has. Here's a link to the blog entry in case you want to read it:
    https://theheartlandchronicle.blogspot.com/2017/08/simple-days-by-marlene-schiwy.html

    ReplyDelete