Tuesday 11 December 2018

Savory Cheddar Scones



The following recipe comes from a recipe blog that some of you are familiar with and others will love once they discover it. The blog is called Mennonite Girls Can Cook.

I saw this recipe and gave it a try . Of course I made changes ( no one is surprised). 



Savory Cheddar Scones:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1 Tablespoon finely snipped chives
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (If using a cast iron skillet..pre-heat greased pan.)
  2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt...cut in butter to form pea-sized pieces.
  3. Add grated cheddar and herbs (of your choice).
  4. Mix eggs and buttermilk and quickly add them to the flour mixture.
  5. Combine just until blended.
  6. Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead a few times.
  7. Pat into a circle about 1 inch thick...in my case, to fit my 12" cast iron skillet.
  8. Cut into 8 wedges and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet.
  9. Pop into the pre-heated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
The key to light and fluffy scones is to handle the dough as little as possible. I used buttermilk, but you can substitute whole milk with a teaspoon of lemon juice.  These are quick and easy and so fun to serve from a cast iron skillet!  Pop the extra scones into the freezer and re-heat to serve 'fresh' scones tomorrow (or the tomorrow after that) 

Below is the photo of my efforts. Basically I did follow their instructions except that I added sausage that I had precooked and also more cheese than was called for. I put the extra on top. I used Farmer Sausage but any sausage you like will do only make sure it is done enough so it won't release too much grease.
Another addition I made was of a large onion, finely chopped, and lightly sauteed in some butter. I added this to the batter.
DH and 2 of my sons have eaten some and find it very tasty BUT here are their recommendations.

It's too thick. Next time make it in 2 pans or one pan plus a few regular biscuit/scones.
The sausage needs to be cut smaller and incorporated. I had laid the pieces on top then covered them with cheese.
If you try this let me know how it works out for you.

I served it with homemade tomato soup.

Thnaks for visiting,

G.M.

7 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, man! You can never go wrong with MORE CHEESE AND SAUSAGE! Ha ha! They sound DELICIOUS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like making scones, this sounds like a great idea to add cheese:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! They look super tasty! The Happy Wonderer is one of the Mennonite Girls and she CAN cook, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this is something my family could really enjoy so I will have to earmark this. Funny T-shirt I saw at a local gift shop this past month had the saying "Mennonite Girls Can Cook but Mennonite Boys sure can Eat" or something to that effect and in the same kind of layout/design as the MGCC logo. I thought perhaps I should get one and wear it as my outfit every time when our family comes home for Sunday lunch, lol.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, those look delicious! I love scones, sweet and savory!

    ReplyDelete