Tuesday 8 January 2019

Pears and a Chilly Walk


Before Christmas we were given a large box of pears which we have enjoyed both eating and sharing with family.  Today DH came home from his volunteer 'job' with another big box of almost ripe pears.  They are in even better shape than that first box. This bowlful is about a third of what we received today . I love the blush of reddish/orange that develops as they ripen.


The Christmas break is over and the grands are back in school.  On Sunday morning M wanted to come along on our morning walk.  There was a cold wind blowing and M wore three sweaters one on top of another because he didn't want to wear his winter coat!
 I walked behind  them and took some pictures.  




We stopped to look at the different kinds of Ducks and the Canada Geese.  Farther on we stopped to talk to a couple who were  taking pictures of some birds in the shrubs.  They identified those as Cape May Warblers, a kind of Warbler that is not normally seen around here. We've had a lot of wind so I wonder if these little birds were driven off course.
Somewhere I have my "life list"  ( birds I've seen at one time or another). Now if only I could find it I could add this latest sighting.


Thanks for coming to visit today,   GM

13 comments:

  1. That looks like a great place for a winter walk. I have a life list too. It's in my Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds. I have not added to it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pears look wonderful.
    I like to wear layers too when I walk instead of a coat. I save my coat for extra cold days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting about the warblers. I wonder if they did get blown off course if they'll find there way??? The pears look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pears look perfect. I suppose I should have a bird list, I will put it on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to be given another box of pears, they certainly look tasty. I am a fan of layers too. Looks like a very pretty place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished looking up pictures of the Cape May Warbler. It is such a pretty little bird. Glad you were able to see it...and that M was along with you and your husband so he could see it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't pears beautiful! Those are the sweetest pictures of the two walking together. We have high winds today. I figured it's my fault since I've raked leaves for the last three days. The wind is challenging me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely time to spend together with M! I like the thought of keeping a life list of birds you've seen! Praying you are having a blessed and wonderful start to the New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks cold and I would be wearing my winter jacket! what delicious looking pears you were gifted. Yum. Lucky you! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had ever started a life list of birds I'm sure I'd never be able to find it when it wanted updating. People store things like that in their phones these days, but I haven't got in the habit. I have a very short list, I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pears! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pears are making me want to hop in the car and head to the market :) They are beautiful.
    What an interesting place you have for your morning walk, but does that bridge get slippery in the winter?
    Thanks for stopping by and visiting, I value your blogging friendship.
    Have a sweet day, dear friend,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete