Saturday 25 May 2019

My Day

It rained all day. The roses hung down their branches heavy with blooms and the blue Iris which has the weakest stems, fell over. I went to cut them off and bring them in so we could enjoy them. Iris are hard to arrange in a vase I find. I end up just stuffing them in a jug.



In spite of the rain we took the grands and went to some garage sales. I found, among other things, a Brambley Hedge journal ( which is so pale on the photo that it's hard to see), a purple shawl ( for when I get old,  haha), some books and a Bone China Christmas teacup that I didn't yet have and wasn't really wanting but she was only asking a dollar. .


I'm excited about the Ami McKay book. She's Canadian. Lives in a house in Nova Scotia that was once a birth house. I'm assuming she researched the history of her house and based her book ( fiction) on it.

       I was happy to find this dragonfly brooch and have already pinned it on to a jacket.




I baked cupcakes and peanut butter  cookies. Did a tiny bit of housework and now it's evening.
I hope you had a lovely day too!


Granny M.

14 comments:

  1. We got out before the rain started here to tour a garden. A post is forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love anything Brambly Hedge. Nice find! And The Birth House is one of my favorite reads. Did you know they are making it in to a show? Just heard that the other day. Can't wait! X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night's rain wreaked havoc with our plants too. You find such neat things when you go garage sale-ing or thrifting. The brooch is very unique. I love Nora Roberts' books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your irises look lovely!!
    Looks like you had some great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great garage sale finds!The brooch is very unique! Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds, I love the brooch. The Iris look so pretty in the jug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you found some fantastic buys! I want to go to yardsales with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That teacup is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I commented on this from my phone...it must not have went through. I wanted to say things are even prettier on my computer! Also, love that dragonfly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I accidentally broke off a beautiful iris last week and put it right away in water in a vase. It didn't last a day! Maybe it was ready to wilt anyway... Yours make me think to try again deliberately, because sometimes I have plenty to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh looks like you had a good time thrifting and what a loot you have too! You better be glad I do not live close by. Girl, I would be whining for some of those precious tea cups you have! Speaking of rain...we need rain so bad. It is so very dry here and HOT! My fishing pond just keeps getting lower and lower. We are expecting a little rain soon I hear. I hope that you have a good rest of the week. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. pretty Iris! Better on your table than broken over in the rain! Purple is for really old ladies..I avoid it:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are doing ALL the things I ought to be doing, among them baking yummy cookies :) The dragonfly pin is just adorable. Brambley Hedge is an all-time favorite, right up there with Tasha Tudor and Wind in the Willows. It's just delightful. I didn't know there was a journal! I may have to hunt down some more BH books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also love the dragonfly broach in this post.

    ReplyDelete