Friday 12 July 2019

How to make a Small Boy Happy


DH volunteers with an organization that accepts vegetables that are for one reason or another not saleable. ( Think truck loads of onions, cabbage, carrots...)  Most are past their prime and volunteers come 5 days a week to sort through them, send through a chopped and then through a dryer. The resulting dry soup mix is bagged and when a sufficient number of huge containers are ready that are sent to impoverished countries. Today M decided to accompany his Grandad and from the excited report he gave me when they returned it was the highlight of his week.  He was allowed to do various jobs such as turn the chopper on and off and even carrying large trays of cut-up veggies. He thoroughly enjoyed "coffee time" which for him was hot chocolate time ( with cake and brownies to munch on).
 But that all paled when he got the chance to ride in one of the volunteer's car. Now, this was no ordinary car... it was M's favourite! A red Mustang convertible.  He has well over a hundred "Matchbox" cars but the Mustangs have always been his best ones so this was a dream come true. I do wonder if the kind-hearted man who gave him this all-too-brief chance knows how happy he made one little boy.
Too bad no pictures were taken.
On the way home DH and M stopped to pick Blackberries at a U-Pick, another first for M who was very impressed by the size of the berries.  Here you can see how they compare to raspberries.





Thanks for stopping by,  GM

9 comments:

  1. A great experience for your grandson, and then there was the Mustang too!
    It's a berry good time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Granny. I lost you for a couple of years through my many moves. Glad I found your blog again and that you are still writing. Those blackberries look so good. I haven’t had a BC blackberry for awhile. I miss the trip to pick them. It might be time I started again. I did try them here in Manitoba. In our well sheltered yard they did well. The only problem was when I deemed them ready, so did Roscoe our dog. He didn’t leave many for us. Same with our plum tree. Those darn squirrels got them first. Ah such is life. I love your picture at the top. As I moved into an apartment, I had to give many away. I am thankful that my granddaughter loves tea parties and all that goes with it. Enjoy you weekend. Hope it isn’t too hot out there. We will be back up into the 30s for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect day for your grandson and husband. Did you make something with the berries or just eat them plain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh what a wonderful story and memory for the books! how wonderful about the food being saved and sent to those who really need it! God bless each one!! Thank you for telling us about this lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like the most splendid kind of day for a boy. He got some of those grownup type of rewards in conjunction with doing grownup work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a real thrill to read the adventures of your Grandson, he must have had a wonderful time and want to go to work with Grandpa again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sort of fills my heart with joy...your M must be a fantastic boy! And that sounds like a great organization. Hopefully M will get to go more times. My oldest daughter loved mustangs from a little girl on...had three of them. But now drives a Subaru Forester to have room for her dog. And actually gave up her last mustang before that. But I am kind of partial to them just from all the years she liked them...so I hope M eventually gets one. My favorite of her was a from the year 2000...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great experience for your grandson and the berries look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything cuter than a delighted boy? Glad he had such a great day.

    ReplyDelete