Wednesday 3 July 2019

This and That


Look what arrived from Amazon!!!  240 pages of BP's art, photos and all kinds of info about her.  The dust jacket is cute and but covers only part of the cover. In order not to tear it I think I'll take it off completely while reading the book.



 We discovered this week that the bird we've been calling the Mourning Dove is really the Eurasian Collared Dove, an introduced species from Europe and Asia ( hence the name).  We wondered about the black crescent which the Mourning Dove doesn't have but since the cooing is so similar in both birds and the fact that in my bird identification books the Collared Dove doesn't appear  it's an easy mistake to make.



           Eurasian Collared Dove above and the Mourning Dove below.
                              (  Both pics are from the internet. )


 And last but not least is this Daylily which has just opened and I must look if I have the tag that identifies it. I think it's my favourite one so far!  I'm so glad this one is not affected by the dreadful Gall Midge.



                  To all my American blogging friends!!


Thanks for visiting!    G.M.

10 comments:

  1. The lily is beautiful such a striking colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how similar the doves look. I see the mourning doves in my yard. I'll have to take a closer look and make sure that is what they are. Love the colors in your daylily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the two birds are very similar but I like the mourning dove better. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm a bit jealous of that pretty BP book. Her work is perfect. BTW, right now I'm watching an hour long documentary on BP! It's on TubiTV, where you can watch things for free. If you search TubiTV on google, you'll find the site. It's safe, free, and I think you might have to watch one commercial during or before the show. Anyway, the documentary is very interesting. The bunny on the leash that she's holding in the dust cover photo is Benjamin Bouncer, her pet. When she started getting paid for her bunny pictures, she wanted to treat him as a thank-you for posing for her art work, so she gave him some hemp seeds as a special treat. The next day he was so groggy and uncooperative that she couldn't paint him. She'd gotten her bunny rabbit stoned, and didn't know it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that day lily is one of the prettiest I have ever seen! Love it...and would love to look through that book.

    Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty BP book! I usually remove dust covers while reading. They just aren't very sturdy. I probably would have confused those doves, too. I was sitting in the yard today admiring some brown thrashers who got fairly close to me as they searched for bugs in the grass. I like that daylily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice book!!! Neat about the doves! praying for you (as per your comment on my blog!) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have both species of dove visiting my garden, but I don't see or hear the mourning doves as often as I used to. It seems only a few years ago that I first saw those collared doves, and now they are always around.

    What a fun book about Beatrix Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy mistake to make on the doves... they can be hard to identify sometimes. We have loads of both types here in Kansas, and along with the pidgeons, Jerry and I see them across the road eating the seed that the harvest trucks lose when they transfer the loads on their trucks to the grain bins. Very interesting birds – we LOVE birds and have several books on them that are much-used from years of looking up types of birds we see. Blessings to you, G.M.! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have quite a few mourning doves who visit our front porch daily to eat up the seed that the messy blue jays spill over from the feeders. My husband loves their cooing sound.

    ReplyDelete