Sunday 23 February 2020

Quiet Day



Not much happening here in my little world. It's a day of steady rain ( so far, anyway) and besides a little shopping this morning I haven't done much. There is a newly opening grocery store in town and we went to have a look. I was not particularly impressed and see no reason to shop there. I already shop at 2 or 3 different stores almost every week buying the specials. I don't have to use much gas because they're all pretty close and I have lots of time, so why not?  While shopping I noticed the reduced price on heart-shaped boxes of Valentines chocolate and treat myself to a smallish box.

No pictures today. I accidentally pressed something on my camera and I need to wait for help in undoing what I did.

We did have several days with no rain this past week and DH began a small project that I was wanting him to do for me.  Hopefully the weather will improve and he can finish. I will take pictures and show you.

I hope you are all having a restful weekend and are full of enthusiasm for the last week of February.
Do you remember the little poem about the months?

January brings the snow,
Makes the feet and fingers glow.

February brings the rain
Thaws the frozen lake again.

March brings breezes, loud and shrill,
Stirs the dancing Daffodil.

April brings the Primrose sweet
Scatters daisies at our feet.

May brings flocks of pretty lambs
Skipping by their fleecy dams..

June brings tulips,  lilies, roses,
Fills the children's hands with posies.

Hot July brings cooling showers,
Apricots and Gilly flowers.

August brings the sheaves of corn,
Then the harvest home is borne.

Warm September brings the fruit,
Sportsmen then begin to shoot.

Fresh October brings the pheasants,
Then to gather nuts is pleasant.

Dull November brings the blast,
Then the leaves are whirling fast.

Chill December brings the sleet,
Blazing fire, and Christmas treat.

Sara Coleridge




Granny Marigold



24 comments:

  1. It's pretty quiet around here too, GM. Nice, slow life. Glad all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiet days! Years ago I used to "shop the specials" and went four different grocery stores. Somewhere along the line I ditched that process and just went to one (Price Chopper) and now that Aldi is here that is where I do the bulk of my shopping. Once a month we go to Sam's Club to stock up on a few things that we buy in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine to read about your peaceful days, rainy but not uncontent. Here we have new storms. Last year we had a lot of snow, this season a lot of storms - rain, too. While I write this, a new storm with rain is flying over the Bavarian Forest - - -

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard that little poem...I love that. Hope you get your camera sorted...wondering what project your DH is working on for you. I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you ever shop at Aldi? I love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of the first time I used a digital camera (borrowed off my daughter). I took heaps of photos and then asked why the red light kept flashing - there was no memory card in the camera!
    Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear!! That must have been so disappointing!

      Delete
  7. Oh I did not know that poem it's delightful!!! I am sorry about the camera mishap! these things happen!! it is nice to have chocolate around for treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard that poem but it's fairly fitting of our January and February this year. It rained...sideways today. The wind was blowing so hard it was actually blowing sideways. We had gone to lunch at Arby's after church with about 10 friends and we all just sat and visited for almost an hour after finishing because no one wanted to go outside in the rain. It was really coming down. Then it just stopped. Five minutes later the sun was shining and it was a beautiful afternoon!
    I hope you get your camera sorted out.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it must be raining everywhere, seems I've seen a lot of post about the rain!! Loved the little poem, and I know I would have loved a piece of your chocolates!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep! I'm up "usually" to watch the sunrise if I can see it where I live this time of year. We're up getting our almost 18 yr old for school, coffee, lunches packed...and then I enjoy the sunrise. Thank you for your compliment GM :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. February does seem like a long month, don't you think? The wind has been quite strong today as though March is already trying to push her way in. I was almost tempted to say, "Well, come on in," but stopped short, for the days fly by so quickly anymore that I think we need to slow down and enjoy each one as much as we can. I love the sweet little poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know the poem either. Hope you find out what you did wrong with your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish February would bring the rain here.... but maybe March will have to do that this year. Please, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I mostly shop in the small-town grocery store in the next town. It's more expensive than the big ones but I like the convenience and they have what I need, since I don't buy frozen convenience foods and make most from scratch. And I don't have to drive 40 miles. I like the poem. I think I remember it from grade school. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard that poem before. I love it. I'm sure enjoying this last week of February. We are still getting rain and when it is not raining, it's cloudy and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes if you turn off a camera it will be okay when you turn it back on or remove the battery :0 We shop at two stores...we have three in town...one that we don't shop in has a smelly produce dept and smelly meat dept. So I don't go there:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the little poem about the months. We have some poems like that in Norwegian too, but this was new for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unfortunately, in Minnesota, March and April bring snow as well, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a rare occurrence in the blogging world to come across someone who lives nearby. I just realized that Phil from The Wykeham Observer blog lives a little over an hour from me! Small world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. "That sounded like a very peaceful day indeed, dear. Days spent lazing around, hoping around shops and munching the unique chocolates. I wish my Sunday passes precisely like this.
    The poem is intact with facts. The March springs are already at the door. Wishing you great days ahead GM!!"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, the poem reminds me of my grandma which she recites for me and my sister when we used to visit her years back. I love to spend quiet days during my weekends after a busy schedule, sometimes I relax with my guitar and play some soft music and I take my classes from a music Institute in Coimbatore

    ReplyDelete