Monday 18 January 2021

Baking and a Thrifty Buy

 

I baked today...scones to have with our morning coffee and cheese biscuits because I knew I was making soup for supper and soup needs something more sustaining with it.


 We also made a quick trip to the thrift store where I found something I've been looking for for a long time. Years ago we built an addition to our house which added 2 bedrooms , a bathroom and a powder room. The addition was 2 story with one bedroom over the other. The upper one was for our oldest granddaughter who was in high school at the time.  DH made a wall of bookshelves and a desk for her. Over the desk he put a double-bullet type light.  When she moved out her room became mine and I love  having lots of room to keep my books and of course my computer. But I have never liked that light fixture. I wanted something pretty.

I  have looked at small chandeliers at the hardware store and was not thrilled with paying what they cost.  Today at the thrift store I spotted this beauty for $8.00  and I knew it was coming home with us. The ceiling medallion is one I picked up at a garage sale many years ago and never found a use for. Here on the sloped ceiling it looks right plus it hides the hole left by the bullet light. The three LED bulbs are very bright. I think they give provide more light than the other one did.




 Not the best pictures but it gives you a good idea of what it looks like.  While in the lighting dept. of the store I also found an antique wall sconce light that I'm hoping my DH will be able to put up in my garden shed where the small fixture I have now doesn't give me enough light . We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for visiting, 

               Granny M.


20 comments:

  1. Hi Granny M. - your new light pendant looks terrific -and at $8 an unbelievable bargain. Fairly recently we had a new light installed in our Dining Room- the Electrician was a lad who I'd taught Woodworking some 34 years ago at a local High School- Gary did a great job for us. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chandelier is beautiful and dresses up the room. It was certainly a good price at $8. I don't like the bullet type lights either. They seem to only light up one area instead of throwing light around the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your light is much more attractive than the previous one. That was a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you found what you wanted for $8...and that it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful chandelier. Patience sure paid off didn't it? It's perfect for the spot and the medallion dresses it up even more. LED lights are so much brighter aren't they? We have them in the RV and only one light makes a huge difference.
    Those cheese biscuits look so yummy. I plan to make soup on Thursday and we'll have some sort of biscuit/bread with it too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find, the light fitting is stunning. Your cheese biscuits look so tasty, yummy perfect with soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice score on the chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice chandelier, looks great. Oh those cheese biscuits and scones look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a successful thrift shopper you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful candles!

    When I make some soup, I also make some cake or good bread to enrich the soup, so that hunger is quiet.

    Have a nice evening in your fine romantic new-old candle light!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your new light and your baking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your new chandelier light fixture. It looks very nice in your room. Your scones and biscuits look mighty good too. So nice when special things follow us home from the Thrift Store!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great find! The medallion is perfect with the chandelier! Yummy looking cheese biscuits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the new chandelier is so pretty! Just the touch needed. Your house must smell wonderful with all the baking you do. Those cheese biscuits make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness do I ever LOVE that light!!!!! What a steel. I sure wish I had one of the yummy cheese biscuits too. I am sitting here now thinking about what to eat! LOL! Have a good day dear GM. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh, yes :-) I also baked Scones today ... my husband is working at home this week because of Corona and so we could enjoy together. Unfortunately I forgot to put a picture on the blog ... they were delicious.
    You have found a wonderful treasure, second-hand shops are wonderful, you never know what you might find :-))
    Kind regards to you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a dramatic change for the better!

    I also have benefited a lot lately from new and extra lighting in various places: the garage, the greenhouse, the utility yard. My laundry area of the garage now has a super-bright LED light that truly lifts my spirits. In the winter, and in old age, having plenty of light makes one less thing that is a strain on the senses and the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post made me think of Virginia Woolf’s “A Room of One’s Own.” The new light is an attractive addition to the room. You do bake the most delicious looking breads.

    ReplyDelete
  19. THat's a brilliant light fixture! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete