Saturday 6 August 2022

Pears, Kiwis, and Tomatoes

 I've mentioned a number of times that my DH volunteers at Gleaners, an organization that takes surplus or otherwise unwanted food stuff from grocery stores.  Whatever can possibly be used in making the dried soup mix that is then shipped to needy countries is used but some of the things that are sent along simply cannot be put into soup. Then, and only then, do the volunteers get to take home those items. Recently Gleaners received 6000 lbs of pickling cucumbers. We had such hot weather that no one wanted to do any pickling so the stores had all those cukes that were going to go bad. Cucumbers seem an unlikely soup ingredient but that's what they became!

Last week the unusable items were these pears which I think are red Anjou. They're not ripe yet but I'm looking forward to tasting them. I'm glad they didn't try putting those in the mix.


Another unusable product this week was kiwis.  We like to eat them as is but there were too many so I made a bit of  jam. It tastes fine but it's certainly not a jam one often sees.

The tomatoes are from our tiny garden. The oval ones are mini Romas and the black cherry tomatoes alongside the regular red ones are Midnight Snack. They don't tasted any different from red ones in fact they start out black and turn red as they ripen.  You can see the one is showing some red already.


.  This is airshow weekend here in Abbotsford. . It's the biggest airshow in Canada and no doubt the loudest.  Animals and small children need a lot of reassurance when those planes screech overhead.  For many years my guys would sit on the roof for a better view but they don't seem to be interested any more.

Hope your weekend is a good one. Thanks for visiting today,  GM


15 comments:

  1. I wonder how many jars of fruit jams you will have by the time winter rolls around. I certainly hope there's pear jam. It's a favorite of mine. Your tomatoes look tasty. Thankfully we are still getting a few from our meager little garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dear husband (DH!) does a good job! It is good to produce a fine soup to cure vegetables ! We also have some tomatoes in our garden, also son me black ones. Here I learned, that they become red, when they become ripe! The kiwi-marmelade looks VERY delicious!!

    Airshow I think is a distress for all the animals under this active noise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine cucumbers in soup...Thank your dear husband for being such a good volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's some lovely food! I am glad your husband can still help make the soup for others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I planted some black cherry tomatoes this year but they have been slow to ripen; I haven't had a good one yet. My Sungolds came along faster but they slowed down fast too. It's strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't believe lack tomatoes...like something out if sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting about the black cherry tomatoes, I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard of the Abbotsford air show. We have an airshow this weekend too here in Seattle, with Blue Angels and other Navy planes and stunt planes ripping and roaring through the sky, and big and little boats roaring and churning up the waters of Lake Washington. This is one weekend when noise is welcome to most of us around here. It's a summer tradition. My daughter and granddaughter are at the lake soaking it all in. We can hear some of it in the distance. .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gleaners sounds like a wonderful organization, it great that your hubby volunteers for such a good cause. Air Shows, we have them here too, Ellington AFB is very close to us so we are familiar with the fly overs. The kiwi jam is quite different, I sure would like a taste!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tomatoes are lovely. I have never saw a black cherry tomato. WOW! Hugs and blessings to you dear GM. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tomatoes look amazing... it's nice that you can get the fruit and use it - I'm actually an artist at using all kinds of foods too :-) I can always think of something :-) your jam must be amazing .
    Many greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made me smile with your memory of your children sitting on the roof to watch the planes. The vegetables look so good and how smart to make kiwi jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kiwi jam looks interesting. Was it hard to make? And the tomatoes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those pears look scrumptious! Red pears are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kiwi jam sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete