Tuesday 6 June 2023

My Day

 The lake is getting clogged with waterlilies especially on this side by the bridge.


 Farther along, near the dock, many geese hang out. They sure can make a poopy mess.

 

I spotted this little fellow seemingly unafraid of me until I got a bit too close then he hopped into the blackberry bushes.


There's not as much variety by the lake as the walk around Fishtrap Creek where, on Sunday, we saw a deer on the small island in the middle of the creek. Apparently there was also a fawn but it was too hidden for us to see it. Others told us they had seen it running and jumping around.

After some lovely cool days of temperatures in the 20's C  today it is 31*. That will mean some watering this evening. Hydrangeas and Astilbes dry out quickly in our sandy soil.

Knowing it would get hot by noon I did some baking first thing after getting back from our walk. I baked an Angel Food cake and some chocolate cupcakes ( both from mixes). On the way home from Gleaners yesterday DH stopped to pick some strawberries. Strawberries call for cake, don't you agree? We were disappointed in the berries which are not at all sweet. Next time he stops to pick it will be at a different farm. Hopefully those berries will be tastier.

I've rambled on long enough.  Thanks for visiting,  GM


18 comments:

  1. Wow that is a lot of water lilies!! I've only baked an angel food cake from a mix. One of these day I might try it from scratch!! You are right those geese sure do make a mess!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of water lilies! It is hot and dry here in Kentucky. I have been watering everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O I#m sorry, that the berries were not as sweet as they have to be. I know this from similar experiences. I found sweet ones and will go next time to the same farmer again.
    Look, what a lot of beautiful geese! That they will make some "poopy mess" is the special present of my doves and chicken, too.
    The small rabbit is very cute.
    Maybe you will catch the deer later with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a LOT of geese in one place. I remember at the lake we camped at in the summer in Washington, the maintenance guy would come out a couple of times a day and go down to the dock and fire his shotgun. It startled all of the dogs in the campground, but it was the only way to keep the boat and fishing docks halfway clean. Goose poop is nasty stuff.
    Sorry about the strawberries. We haven't had any yet this year but they sure sound good. I used to have a nice strawberry patch in Spokane.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot here too. I guess it is really summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....those are a ton of waterlillies ........we have about 7 days of nice cool temps now, so I will enjoy them. We sure do need rain though,......I've never seen it stay dry for this long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What will happen with the water lilies? Do they remain all summer, or do they die back?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like Summer has arrived in your place - just like winter has arrived here! Hopefully the next lot of strawberries will be nicer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many waterlilies. Where is the water? :)

    I cannot imagine winter now- reading the comment from new Zealand...Greetings !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That photo of the bridge and all those water lilies just makes my heart skip a beat. I love water lilies. I wish I was there to take a walk with you. Yes, yes, yes strawberries and cake are a match made in heaven especially when topped with whipped cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a bunch of lilies! Love the bunny, and of course...cake! lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, I do think, strawberries call for cake or shortcake!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi GM! You're a good baker! The best strawberries are the ones that are red inside. I hope you get some good ones soon! We've had rain rain rain so no watering. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Granny, have you heard of Night Sky Petunias? I just saw a picture of them....purple with little white specks like stars on them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is a lot of water lilies! wonderful baking! :) thanks for your comment also it was encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such lovely photos. I have made homemade angel food cake when I raised chickens and had a surplus of eggs. Now I use the mix.......so much easier and just as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing waterlilies...I know they will just take over a pond. But I still love them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many water lilies! I wonder how the ducks and geese can swim ?

    ReplyDelete