It wouldn't be Monday around here if it wasn't also Laundry day. The day dawned overcast and cool but it promises to be sunny and warm later.
My Basil, which I grew on the windowsill in the sunroom, grew much too big in spite of frequent trimmings. On Saturday I cut most of the leaves and Son#2 made Pesto. Later he brought me a slice of freshly baked bread spread with that pesto and it was so good! The old Basil plants went into the compost. I have a third pot of Basil ready for use now just in time for the ripening tomatoes!!
I don't think I posted about this chest of drawers that was marked Free beside the road. It's solid and in good condition so we brought it home. I was sure someone would need it and it turned out to be Son#3.
It's a good thing it didn't stay out in the weather for long or it would have gotten wet. We had a day of showers yesterday.
The rain meant a cooler day and I took advantage of the coolness to make an Impossible Coconut Pie.
It was a good way to use up some milk that needed using. Do you have a go-to recipe for when you find yourself in that situation?


The chest of drawers looks to be in good condition - a great find! Your pesto & bread snack sounds delicious! Here Monday is typical Soup Day when I cook up a pot of soup so that we have leftovers to start the week. Today I made a pot of Garlic & Snap Pea soup which used up the oversized sugar snap peas that I picked this morning (I picked a 4 litre pail). Today is a busy one as I have bun dough rising and M and boys are coming for supper. It is also laundry day.
ReplyDeleteEllabie
That is a beautiful chest. What a find!
ReplyDeleteYour pie looks yummy.
I just did a load of laundry today and I didn't even think it was because it is Monday! LOL! Thanks for the reminder....yes, back in the 50s and 60s this is what most families did on a Monday.
ReplyDeleteI love the illustration at the beginning of your post. That recipe sounds fantastic, thank you so much for sharing it!
I love basil, and yours looks great!
That chest of drawers is beautiful! Great find!
Yes, it is raining here in Montreal now, such a relief, it has been pretty hot and humid.
It's wonderful to have things that give routine and structure to one's week! Lovely find and it's lovely to have plants
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing curbside find. As my mother would say, "the price was right". Too much basil sounds like a great problem to have. I do love pesto, and you can freeze it in ice trays.
ReplyDeleteLove fresh basil and keep some growing in my kitchen window. I pick leaves off it all the time.
ReplyDeleteSheet washing day here too and they dried quickly on the line.
Wow the free chest of drawers is beautiful. Glad it got a new home.
I did laundry also. Great find on the side of the road. Fresh pesto yummm
ReplyDeleteCathy
Wonderful Basilica... it really reached me!
ReplyDeleteI so wish I liked coconut! That pie looks so wash and delicious 😋
ReplyDeleteI've grown Lettuce Basil this year. The leaves are enormous and very pungent!
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful chest of drawers! So glad that you were able to get it before bad weather set in.
ReplyDeleteThe coconut impossible pie sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
You have quite a harvest of basil. The pesto sounds delish. I usually have buttermilk left after making one recipe. So, we end up having everything buttermilk until it is gone...cornbread, pie, biscuits... That dresser was a nice find. Glad you rescued it for your son.
ReplyDeleteI have lots and lots of basil in my garden right now, and have used so little -- it must be time to make a batch of pesto for the freezer!
ReplyDeleteWhat a find, that chest of drawers!
That's a nice chest, great find. I'm sure Mr D would enjoy a piece of your coconut pie, it's one of his favorites.
ReplyDeleteGrandma, if you want to have dried basil to cook with in the winter, when there won’t be any fresh, you need to dry it. To do this, tie the branches and hang them in a dry place. Once they are completely dry, store them in a covered container and that way you’ll have it to use whenever you want.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip!!
DeleteInteresting recipe!
ReplyDeleteI really like the chest of drawers. What a great find!
ReplyDeleteThat chest was a great find.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Your basil looks great, bet it smells lovely. Good job rescuing that chest, it will be loved, I’m sure! I’d like to try that pie recipe, thanks for sharing it and thanks for the nice visit.
ReplyDelete.Have a happy day, Virginia
I used to make that pie years ago! Must do it again.
ReplyDeleteMy go-to is scones. So quick and easy.
I can't believe that dresser was left on the curb! What a beauty.
Love the chest AND that pie!! lol
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
Fresh homemade pesto on warm bread is absolute heaven, especially with homegrown tomatoes right around the corner! Finding a solid chest of drawers for free on the side of the road is a total win, too, and an Impossible Coconut Pie is just about the coziest way to spend a rainy afternoon.
ReplyDelete