Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Fall, Spider Webs, and Mooncakes

 


So here we are on the first official day of Fall. As if by magic we abruptly went to foggy mornings. 
When we walked at Willband on Saturday the fog was so thick we saw about 6' on either side of the path.  Then on Sunday we walked at Fish Trap Creek and the fog was much less obvious.  Spider webs seem to be everywhere. I took a few pictures.  The second one has one of those dense webs that looks very different from the usual. Last year I think it was someone told me those are made by Grass Spiders. 


  


 We watched and waited to see if this osprey would dive from his high perch but he must not have been hungry.


 

 The Mid-Autumn Festival (also called the Moon Festival) is an ancient harvest celebration with a history of over 3,000 years. It happens on the 15th day of the 8th month of the Chinese lunisolar calendar, when the moon is brightest. Families gather to give thanks for the harvest, light lanterns, and eat mooncakes.  This year this celebration will be on Friday, the 25th. Beautifully decorated boxes containing mooncakes are given as gifts.  Middle Son was gifted one of these boxes   ( as manager of the complex he has had many occasions to call this roofer to come and repair a leaking roof).


 Each of the 4 mooncakes had a different filling ( the box was solely in Chinese so we had no idea what the filling was. This one seemed to have a nut and date filling or maybe sweet red bean paste.


 

A quick update on my hip problem. The X-rays came back and no problem there. However the discomfort is not pleasant and once I finally get to see my doctor ( in October!), hopefully she'll have some answers. Meanwhile my walks have had to be shortened and any hills avoided. 

 

Thanks for coming by

 


 

17 comments:

  1. What lovely photos! I have never tried mooncake! The box is beautifully decorated!
    I am glad the X-rays showed no problems. I do hope that your pain subsides and that you can get some answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spider webs are quite fascinating--unless I unwittingly walk into one!
    Doesn't it seem as though backs--hips--knees--the working parts we took for granted, now present with all manner of aches and twinges?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting gifted a mooncake box as thanks for roof repairs is such a lovely, unexpected perk, even with the mystery fillings adding to the fun. Glad the X-rays came back clear on your hip, hope October brings some real answers and relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the 'Noticing Walk'. I'll try it next time i go for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing lots of spider webs around here too. Hope something will be able to be done about your hip pain.
    Love the noticing walk words. I don't think I've ever had a mooncake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. It’s awful when your hips hurt! My brother had a hip replacement three years ago, but it still isn't right. Now he’s going in for surgery on the other hip. Hopefully, that one goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am dodging spiders in the garden all the time now.
    I like the idea of a "Noticing Walk".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you hip is giving you problems, hope the DR's have an answer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The moon cakes are a nice gift. I hope your hip problems can be resolved easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moon pies sound yummy.
    So sorry your hip isn't s an issue.
    I had an early appointment this morning and it was very foggy.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you get some answers for your hip pain, and can find some relief while waiting for the appointment.
    I'm saving the 'noticing walk', such a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. The moon cake was very tasty! I was glad for the chance to try it as I've never had one before. -Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spider webs are so amazing, how those little creatures make such an elaborate pattern. WoW. Hope you get some relief with your hip problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The moon cakes looks very exciting! Sorry about your hip, hope it will be better and they find what is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We continue to have foggy mornings, and we are also seeing a lot of spider webs. Both of your web pictures are amazing. Try as I might, seldom do I get such clear pictures of the spider webs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe your doctor will send you to the physical therapist. The PT's have been so helpful for me over the years, as they are skilled at figuring out what needs strengthening and/or stretching in order to get comfortable and active again.

    The moon cakes sound interesting! At first I was thinking Moon Pies, which are something quite different, and which my daughter has made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope the hip pain has a solution 🫂🙏

    ReplyDelete