Friday, 25 September 2026

Friday Chit Chat

 

 


After seemingly endless days of drought we're having a day of light rain which is forecast to last all day. That should soak gently into the thirsty soil. It may be too late for some plants but hopefully many will be given a boost.

Earlier in the week I baked a dark fruit cake using an old recipe which I modified to make only one loaf.  It turned out very moist and it reminds me a lot of  Bara Brith , the Welsh Tea Loaf that I made some months ago. The main difference is I substituted molasses for the tea that the Welsh recipe called for.


 Another quick trip to the thrift store to drop off a few boxes. Of course I went in and browsed. I saw these pretty place mats that are only 8 by 11 inches, perfect for snack time.  They were pinned together and it was only after I came home that I realized that there were 6, not just 4 as I had thought. Bonus.

 


 

Pretty flowers for the table 


 



 An Afterthought.... I saw this cute meme (?) on Pinterest and I thought I'd post it for someone who is in the process of renovating their home.  



 

15 comments:

  1. Love that maple leaf and pumpkin print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I have been playing catch up on projects at my house for most of the last 5 years. It never seems to end. I envy your rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos and illustrations. The hamsters sharing an umbrella 🌂 is delightful 😊
    I love your projects and creative talent.
    I love Autumn 🍂 and fruitcake, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, home renovations take forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rain has been so welcome today, and now, late afternoon, the sun is shining.
    Home renos take a long time, but are worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are getting some rain! We finally saw the sun today, a welcome change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny, the meme:) lovely finds and baking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your meme is ever so true!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rain following drought is such a relaxiing thing. We are still very dry but may get some tropical rains next week. I know it is too late for many plants, but thankfully I have not lost too many.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The meme rings true!! :) Cute little mice under the umbrella. Nice find of the placemats!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww the mice under the umbrella is so cute and that meme had me chuckling.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the mice! I am SO ready for Fall to arrive!! It's too hot here...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice surprise to find two extra placemats in the bundle. I love the table topper under your pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice quilted pieces. I wanted to put some fall decorations out this morning and don't know what I have done with them. Oh well, I am sure they will show up. Maybe by Christmas he he

    ReplyDelete