Friday 22 July 2016

Clouds


Last evening my youngest son was on his way to the grocery store when he spotted these amazing clouds and came right over to get me outside to see them.  So glad he did.



I wondered what causes clouds to be red, orange or even peach-coloured. Here's what I read:

Just before sunrise or just after sunset , light rays from the sun follow a longer path through the denser part of the atmosphere near the bend in the earth's surface near the horizon. Most of the blue light is filtered out and only the longer wave lengths are left... first yellow then red.  That's why as the earth rolls away from the sun, presenting a thicker atmosphere for light to penetrate, the colour  of the clouds changes from yellow to roange to red.

          You probably already knew all this but I found it very interesting.


The above pics were taken to the East while the one below was in the Western sky.


Happy Friday!!


Granny Marigold

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love to take pics of pretty clouds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, thank you for sharing this with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were out walking the dogs and saw them too! They were really quite something weren't they, and I wished I had brought the camera along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love clouds and have been known to make hubby "pull over!!!!" a lot on road trips just to get photos of really cool ones.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are certainly beautiful skies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cloud photos G.M. Always something beautiful to look at in the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow they are spectacular !!
    hugs,patty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those clouds are beautiful! No, I did not know that. Have wondered though, how the sky could be so pretty and pink. The sky here this morning was orange for just a short while. I love the new white chain fence in your last post. It looks so pretty with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete