Tuesday 31 March 2015

An Easy Cake

A young friend turns 19 today and called to request "Chocolate cheesecake'. I knew I hadn't made one for years then it occurred to me what he meant. For my #2 son's birthday ( Valentine's Day) I made a cake with a chocolate base which I cut in half once it was cooled,, filled with cherry pie filling, then put the second layer on topping the whole thing with a cream cheese mixture. When I served it the top layer nicely slid off the bottom. Tasted delicious but looked pretty funny.
Here's what I did with today's cake. I prepared the cake mix as per instructions except that instead of a 9 X 13 pan I used an 8 X 12 and an 8 X 8.  I took pictures of the two but believe it or not they are NOT to be found. Anyway, picture the two cakes.


After they were baked and cooled I topped the 8 X 12 with a mixture of cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and the Cool Whip.


On that I spread the cherry pie filling. I purposely didn't buy the no-name pie filling thinking name brand would have more cherries but this can sure didn't!!  Also, the cherries on the left are not darker. Darn camera again. ( Couldn't possibly be the one taking the picture!).


The 8 X 8 cake got sprinkles over chocolate icing. There are those who don't like their chocolate cake messed with.  Ha!
So there are my very simple birthday cakes. Happy Birthday, Jake!.


                                                                  Granny Marigold


2 comments:

  1. Both cakes look delicious! I really want to try the one with cherries and cream cheese. I've never had good luck with cakes. Guess I am better at making pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have luck with pies, which I think are harder to succeed. I'm just not blessed with much talent in cooking/baking so I stick to easy stuff!!

      Delete