Monday 8 August 2016

Another Sunday Walk

On Sunday we went to check out McDonald Park which is not far from us but where we seldom go. Don't know why not because walking there is great and we literally met not another soul as we walked.  This park is British Columbia's only designated dark sky park and is officially free of light pollution for  clear-sighted gazing at the stars and this coming week will have many coming to watch the Perseid Meteorite Showers which are predicted to be super this year.  I believe Wednesday to Friday nights are to be the best and we can only hope for a cloudless sky.



There were cars in the parking area but they might have been down by the water fishing.


I don't know what these wild flowers are. Maybe Queen Anne's Lace?  The seed heads are very strange, I thought. Big and bushy. My wild flower ID book is no help because they don't show the seed head. I'll bet Karen will know what these are.



Has your week gotten off to a good start?  Do you enjoy watching the sky?  I've been known to sit out on the swing in the middle of the night just to see their beauty. Was it Anne Sullivan who said that if the stars were only visible once a year we'd be a lot more impressed by them?


Star-Struck Granny Marigold

9 comments:

  1. Ye, it is Queen Anne's Lace, which is Wild Carrot. They are such a pretty weed.
    We'll be on the Oregon Coast this week . Hoping for some clear skies to see the meteor showers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty setting-love the hills.
    Hubby and I like finding quiet places to hike as well. In our crowded world, that's getting harder to do!
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't the seed heads of Queen Anne's Lace interesting?
    I love watching the sky. After Hurricane Juan in Nova Scotia the power was out where we lived in the country for 8 days. The night skies were fabulous. You never imagined there could be so many stars.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful place hope you had wonderful time there dear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, agree on the Queen Anne's Lace. I always google the name of things like that, and click images, and it comes up. I use them in bouquets. One time someone asked me the name of a yellow flower in a bouquet. I had one of those 'brain farts' and couldn't think of the name. Googled 'Spring blooming spikey yellow flower', clicked images, and sure enough it showed up in one of the images, which I then clicked on and it took me to the page where it came from, and the name was there. (My apologies if this is something you already know!)
    We have been to McDonald park. If you walk north from there, if I remember correctly, both sides of the river are official off-leash areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lazy hazy days of summer. That's what your post reminds me of. Happy day, good GM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to wrap myself in mosquito netting to see the meteor showers. I hope you have good luck viewing them:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so many nice places to walk! I think Queen Anne's Lace is so pretty. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of dark sky parks, but think it is a great concept. I imagine the night sky viewing would be especially beautiful there. Our sky last night was very clear. The stars looked close enough to reach up and grab one. I didn't try that though :).

    ReplyDelete