Monday 19 May 2014

In My Kitchen

What does one do with half a can of cherry pie filling?  How about a couple of individual crisps? I try always to have some crisp mix in the fridge, it keeps for weeks if not months in a covered container. The recipe is so simple too. 2 cups flour, 2 cups rolled oats, 1 1/4 cups brown sugar and  1/2 cup of margarine which has been worked into the dry ingredients. Oh yes, a dash of cinnamon is nice if you like cinnamon. Whenever you want a quick dessert this topping is ready to sprinkle liberally on top of any fruit you choose. When using apples I find it helps to microwave them first to soften and add a bit extra sugar.


Also in my kitchen today is Peach Jam ( from peaches from the freezer).  I make jam as we need it using corn starch to thicken instead of Certo. I use less sugar than most do because we love using LOTS of jam and if I decrease the sugar we feel "healthier".  LOL

These pictures were taken in my walk-in pantry which we call the Buttery to distinguish it from the "pantry" which is in the actual kitchen.  The stained glass window serves two purposes: one is to block the neighbours view from their window right opposite, and also to look lovely since I have a real thing about stained glass.   Did you notice the old-fashioned screen in the window? It is very old and is the kind you can expand  to fit the window. In this case the window is also old and is the push-up kind with the bars which I believe are called Muntin bars. Sounds a bit like chocolate bars, don't you think?
I hope you've enjoyed the peek into my kitchen this May morning!

          Granny Marigold

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh, how delicious it all looks, especially on a bone chilling rainy day like today when all my brain screams for is carbs and sugar, never kale and celery :(
    Your buttery looks oh so inviting....do tell, what treasures are hidden in the cupboards on the left?
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That entire wall used to be open shelves where I kept jars, both full and empty, as well as all the rest of the "stuff" we need, like freezer bags, my breadmaker, extra coffee pot, etc. At that time the door into the Buttery was a solid door but then I found a leaded glass door ( for ten dollars!!) at a gs and had my DH install it instead. It looked lovely but the mish-mash of stuff on the shelves now looked too messy. I tried to organize it but didn't succeed so again, it was DH to the rescue. He made doors to cover the shelves. I'm sure you know how one home improvement leads to another!

    ReplyDelete