Monday 3 November 2014

Gladys Taber


Many of you will be familiar with the author Gladys Taber. She remains one of my go-to authors when I feel in the mood for a little nostalgia. Her down-to-earth way of looking at her world is calming and her love for homemaking makes her books so pleasant to read. She loved her dogs and her cats too. They were so dear to her and that love comes through in the stories she tells of their antics.  She was a great believer in taking time to enjoy each day !




Gladys Taber lived in her 1690 Connecticut home ( shown below)  with her good friend Eleanor who she calls "Jill" in her books.  After Jill's death Gladys moved to Cape Cod where she spent her last days.  


I treasure the books I have by this wise woman and I'm always on the look-out for any that I don't yet have.  She has also written a cook book that has, besides the obvious recipes, little stories to go along with them. I wonder if you love Gladys Taber's lovely ramblings too?


                 GRANNY MARIGOLD




3 comments:

  1. Oh, I do enjoy GT! I agree with your take on her style which is full of good nostalgic warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading My Cape Cod right now! I also have Stillmeadow Calendar and Still Cove Journal. If you haven't read one of these and would like to, let me know. I'd be glad to send any of them to you. I think Stillmeadow Calendar is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet of you, Lisa. I think Stillmeadow Calendar is one of the books included in The Best of Stillmeadow which I'm sure you know is a compilation of no less than seven of GT's books (done by her daughter). It's one of the books that reside close to my reading chair in case I have a sudden need to read some GT.

    ReplyDelete