Monday 11 May 2015

This and That


I meant to post this picture yesterday of my mom and me probably taken around 1953. My mom was only a year older than I am now when she died. She was unwell for years before that but she kept right on doing all she could for her family. No matter how old you get you still miss your mother.


 My mom made everything from scratch...bread, cake, cookies...  I used to bake more, when the kids all lived at home. Now I still do bake but not nearly as often. The chocolate chip cookies are for the kids and grands. Neither my DH nor I ever eat more than maybe a fresh warm one straight from the oven.  The carrot muffins are what I really enjoy with my cup of Earl Grey.


Okay. It would seem like  the next couple of pics went in sideways again. Sorry about that.


I picked this jigsaw puzzle up at a garage sale and couldn't resist starting it right away. It is a tough one with no border and even has some extra pieces thrown in to make it even more difficult. It's called the great wall of china.  I would love to own some of those pretty plates!!




With the outside work needing doing this time of the year it might seem strange to start on a puzzle now but DH and I sit and work on it when we need a break from our extremely strenuous days.  You do realize I'm just kidding, I hope. 
However laundry does await me on this lovely Monday morning.  How is your week starting off?
Please leave a comment if you chance to visit.

      Granny Marigold

7 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful picture of you and your mother. I'm glad you posted it today. I used to love puzzles! You've just got to show us a picture when you finish it. I have two puzzles I bought at a thrift shop that I've never started on. Maybe I should do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely post a pic of it IF it ever gets done. It is by far the hardest puzzle we've attempted.

      Delete
  2. love doing jigsaw puzzle. Should check out some garage sales to see about getting some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure all the pieces are in the box. Often I find that whoever did it before put the pieces in a big ziploc bag. That kind of effort pretty well assures you all the pieces are included. Funny thing is that there are two pictures in the box of the finished puzzle. Guess whoever wanted to prove they had finished it.

      Delete
  3. That does look like an impossible puzzle! But they are fun to try to figure out. I love your wooden cooling rack. :) I miss my mom, too. She's still here in body, but not in mind. But I know her spirit is safe in the Father's hands. We'll talk again in Heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture brought tears to my eyes, thanks for posting it and reminding us all how very precious our moms are/were. Even though Mom has been gone so many years, I so often regret not telling her more often how much I appreciated all she did.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely picture of you and your mother. I remember my hair being in a very similar style to yours!
    Is Monday always laundry day? Made me think of my mother, and Monday was laundry day for her when I was young. I don't remember if it still was if it was raining, but then she had racks inside that she could hang the clothes on. Laundry day for me is when I'm running out of something/the hamper is full/ the weather is perfect for clothesline drying.

    ReplyDelete