Monday 26 June 2017

A Poem for Monday






The cure for exhaustion

Sometimes exhausted
with toil and endeavour,
I wish I could sleep
for ever and ever.
But then this reflection
my longing allays
I shall be doing it
one of these days
    
                                                                       Piet Hein

I'm not  having an exceptionally busy day, just a normal Monday.
Well, we did go picking strawberries again after breakfast, before it got too warm.  Made some jam, froze some berries, and sugared the rest for eating today and tomorrow. These berries are much softer and juicier than the last ones we got. This makes them more delicious but they won't keep more than two days in the fridge. 

So now lunch is done and my book is waiting to be read. Someone, I don't remember who, recommended it and I'm enjoying it so far
( I've read 112 pages  of 190 pages). The book is called Hannah Coulter and the author is Wendell Berry.

I hope you liked the poem. It seems  to me both humorous and serious at the same time.

Granny Marigold
 

9 comments:

  1. I do like the poem. It's a good reminder to live each day as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your days sound like mine but I am finding, the older I get, that as I do less and less, the more exhausted I get. Age I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent poem! Full of Wisdom. For those times, when we get silly...

    Silly in so many ways... All the "sillies," which fill our minds with unnecessary stuff... And rob us of joy, in the present time. Which, is all we ever have. Now. Now. Now.

    And it is Wisdom, to chose to enjoy Now, as much as we can. :-) And not fill it, with needless fretting and worry and bother.

    Hugs, Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly makes you think, like Linda says a good reminder to live each day as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a cute poem and very true!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I can identify with the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I'd like a bowl of NW strawberries, please.😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great poem Granny Marigold!
    I know I have Hannah Coulter in my book pile. Must go dig it out.
    Have a good week!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the poem! Liking the weather this week. Spent about 5 hours gardening today. At least a few spots are looking decent ;-)

    ReplyDelete