Friday 12 January 2018

Amaryllis and a Primrose


I apologize for the poor quality of this picture but what I wanted to show was just how much this Amaryllis flower stem grew in 2 days. DH marked it with a pen right close to the bulb and this shows how well it's coming along. This is one of the two I bought recently marked down after Christmas. This is Red Lion, the other one ( which is less vigorous it seems) is Minerva ( red and white streaked).


Last year I also bought the same 2 varieties marked down and they produced amazing blooms...5 or 6  per plant.  They refuse to go dormant in spite of no watering so I'll just wait and see if they bloom at all this year.  This one has all its leaves still while the one below in down to just one leaf.



We went to do our grocery shopping this morning and outside was a large display of Primroses just $1.30 each. How could I resist!  I love the pure whit of this one. I'm hoping that if I remember to put it out on the porch  at night it will bloom a few weeks.


We've been having more winter weather so my indoor  plants/flowers give me a boost when it's dreary outside.

Thanks for visiting,

          Granny Marigold


11 comments:

  1. I think you can make anything bloom! I tend to neglect indoor plants, so I'll let you cheer me up with pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were bunches of daffodils for sale at the grocery store yesterday! I resisted because I'll wait until they are cheaper, but, hey, spring is never far away here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very healthy plants! I've never had a primrose. Will have to look around this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! You are so good at growing your indoor plants! That primrose is so pretty! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to buy amaryllis bulbs after Christmas. While they are beautiful anytime, I sometimes think they get lost amongst all of the other Christmas décor. I have grown them in January before and find it a welcome time of year to watch something growing in the house.
    Stay warm this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those amaryllis are fun, aren't they? I haven't had one in a long time. And the primrose was a steal -- so pretty!!

    Living flowering plants must be just the miraculous thing one needs in your climate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had an Amarylis given to me a few years ago and it was so fun to watchg grow. I never think to buy them myself. Last year I saw a beautiful primrose on your blog and bought myself one and I couldn't manage to keep it alive. I don't think it even lasted two weeks... but it was pretty while I had it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have very stunning plants and you've inspired me to fill up my house with an abundance of growing things. I"m glad that your plants are there to cheer you up when it's a bit dreary outdoors. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have a 'green thumb.' Your plants are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After seeing your Amaryllis last year, I really meant to buy one, but never did. The primrose is pretty too. You do have a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete