Saturday 15 March 2014

Random thoughts

I'm still fighting this cold and laryngitis so I am not terribly motivated to do much. The weather, which has been fairly pleasant for a few days, has now gone back to rain. Also not very inspiring. So...here are some random thoughts today.

I don't often ( well, not VERY often) buy something totally on impulse but at the Dollar Store they had these metal pans to shape tortillas into "edible bowls" for three dollars. I thought that I'd like to try them out and they worked fine. Only I couldn't figure out how to eat my edible bowl once I had finished my salad.  My DH thought  ice cream would make a much better "filling" but even then.... how to eat the darn thing.  Pick it up and nibble? Or break it into pieces?





I bought myself another pot of the mini Daffodils last week. They are so pretty and by putting them outside at night I can prolong their blooming time. The tin just beside them is one I got a few years ago.  The pattern on it is raised and has the look  almost of stained glass.  It originated in the U.K. and perhaps came filled with cookies?  I, of course, bought it at the thrift shop and it was empty.
I just finished rereading  Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson. I have two copies of this book. One is a paperback copy and the other a hard covered, rich red copy, which has great illustrations but has large portions left out. Now I'm reading another of Thompson's books, Still Glides the Stream, but am not finding this one as interesting as the first one. Maybe because Lark Rise is autobiographical and the second book is strictly fiction.  Still Glides the Stream is also hard copy and with matching red cover. Red being one of my favourite colours these two books are in a prominent spot on my bookshelves.
   Time for more hot tea to ease my throat.  Granny Marigold

3 comments:

  1. I've been looking for those tortilla pans - I have a recipe for fruit salad that calls for the salad to be served in a sweetened tortilla bowl. Never thought of checking the dollar store - will be doing that very soon. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how you rated the book "Lark Rise to Candleford" in comparison to the TV episodes (also found on YouTube)? I have only watched the episodes but will now look for the novel.
    Regards,
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched part of one episode but the whole thing seemed so different from the pictures the book had conjured in my head that I chose not to watch the rest.

    ReplyDelete