Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Vegetable Soup and Flowers

 

I've been waiting for the beans to be ready to pick. These first ones are the Rattlesnakes.  I made a pot of Vegetable/Bean soup for supper. I was sure I didn't have any (annual) Summer Savoury come up but the perennial Winter Savoury was somewhere under the mess that was overgrown Thyme. I never did find it so I used Thyme instead. The soup didn't taste the way it should have but it was okay.


After supper I went out to see how my flowers had fared in the heat of our day (37C).
I checked the little purple Pansy growing in a pot by my garden shed and I stopped to take a proper look. In with the Pansy  a fine Summer Savoury is growing!!  I'll be sure to let it form seeds eventually and I'll sprinkle those around in the herb bed. Before I do that I will have to remove quite a bit of Thyme though.


 A lovely bouquet of flowers.... definitely not ones from my garden.

In this picture you can see the little orange flowers on the right.  The app on son's  phone identifies them as safflower. I have never seen those before.
 


From the internet:    Safflower (Carthamus tinctorius), also false saffron, is a highly branched, herbaceous, thistle-like annual plant in the family Asteraceae.  The seeds are used to make safflower oil.


Thanks for coming by

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment