Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Welcome August, Tomatoes & Basil

 


 

Good Morning!!  The sun is shining through a haze of smoke and looks strangely orange.  It was only 11C when I first got up but the temperature is slowly but steadily rising. No doubt it will reach 30 again.  We did have a nice rain on Saturday, in fact DH and I got caught in it when we were walking.

Saturday was Lammas, the ancient festival that celebrates the first grain harvest and is the midpoint between summer and autumn. 

The first day of July had 16 hours of daylight. The last day was 59 minutes shorter. The days are definitely drawing in.

More tomatoes are ripening on our few plants and since I'm the only one who enjoys them I do my best to have some every day.  My third harvest of Basil is doing great on the windowsill. 


 My lunch on Saturday.  I've learned to love avocado on toast!


 

Thanks for visiting 

 


 

9 comments:

  1. Happy August.
    I do enjoy avocado and your tomatoes are ripening nicely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homegrown tomatoes are the best and avocado on toast is too! Your basil looks so healthy! Enjoy August and all the yummy summer veggies. I love your header with the tea cup pansies, I may have said that before but I don’t remember,😀 I always enjoy visiting you. Have the best day! Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avocado on toast is a real treat 😋

    ReplyDelete
  4. The basil and tomato look amazing! I'm glad you are able to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Basil is doing very well in my garden. No ripe tomatoes yet; they were very late setting fruit. Your simple meal looks perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fresh home tomatoes, right off the vine. I can eat them just like eating an apple or orange. I also love avocados, Mr D, not so much. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The basil and tomatoes look delicious and I'm always wanting to try avocado toast but I keep forgetting when I'm at the store to buy an avocado. We by guacamole a lot though. I wonder if it would be similar?
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy August. Our tomatoes are finally started to turn red on he vine. I notice too that the sun has not risen yet before I start walking.

    ReplyDelete