Thursday 12 February 2015

SWANS


What a lovely surprise we had this morning! There on the lake were three swans... two pure white and one grey. I think that the grey one was an immature... last year's chick  perhaps? 

I did not have my camera along so these pictures are not of "my" swans but rather are off the internet.



According to Wikipedia swans reach sexual maturity between 4 and 6 years of age but may form monogamous bonds  as early as 20 months. These bonds often last for life.


My bird book tells me that here in the Fraser Valley we can be visited by both the Trumpeter and the Tundra Swans. I have no idea which we saw but they were so special to see.

Have you had any unusual bird visitors this winter?

                        Granny Marigold


2 comments:

  1. I have actually seen some swans around here this winter. They are so spectacular! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they are Trumpeter. The swans in Skagit County are plentiful now but in my youth, there weren't so many, if any. Isn't it fun? I'm so glad they visited lovely you!

    ReplyDelete