Friday, 24 July 2026

Rattlesnake Beans & Japanese Anemones

 I thought I'd post the tale of our Rattlesnake Beans.

When M was in kindergarten some 12 years ago one of the little projects he brought home was a bean growing in a styrofoam cup. I kept it alive on the windowsill and in due time planted it outside with our regular beans but kept it marked.  From that one plant we got a number of  beans to plant the next year and after that year it became one of our favourite. Beans didn't do very well last year but there were enough to sow this Spring and hopefully this year there will be a better crop.

from the 'net....
The rattlesnake bean is an heirloom cultivar of pole bean. The pods are 6 to 8-inches long with purple markings, and the seeds are light brown with brown markings, still visible after cooking
 

 It seems I can not do a post without talking about flowers. Today it's the Japanese Anemones that have begun to bloom!!  


 

Thanks for stopping in for a visit.  I hope you have a lovely weekend.

 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting about those beans. I've not heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Japanese anemones so much! I now have them in three or four colors in my garden, two of them planted this year. None of them has started blooming yet....

    It's very special to have Rattlesnake Beans grown from the ancestor of 12 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun! I think my parents used to have these beans! I love your love of flowers

    ReplyDelete