Tuesday, 7 July 2026

Tuesday Chit Chat

 My project for this another very warm day was to organize the kitchen drawer where all the plastic containers from small to large are kept. No matter how I store them they get in a big mess so from time to time it's best to take them all out and start again. Which I did. 

 

Then I came back to my ongoing cleaning of my teacups and other collections on the bakers rack in the sun room.  I got help with taking down the two on the top shelf and again putting them back once I cleaned them.  The third shelf has also been done now. Just the bottom one is left. 

 






In spite of the warm temperatures I used the oven to make scones. I used the recipe that  I put the candied fruit in.  



I started on the peaches. I scalded them briefly in order to peel them but they didn't peel very easily.  My Mom canned quarts and quarts of peaches that looked perfect;  mine were sort of ragged looking. Oh well, they'll taste the same. I don't can any more so these will go into the freezer for winter use.

Today is youngest Grandson M's 17th birthday.  That wee baby that had to spend the first weeks of his life in the Neonatal Unit is now almost as tall as his Dad.  I looked for a picture where his face was not visible. The picture I found is a better picture of Bracken than M. Those 2 were buddies.

14 years ago


So that's how my day has gone so far. Now that I'm done what I set out to do I'll see if the porch is not too warm and I'll sit and put my feet up.  How's your day going?

Thanks for coming by. 

18 comments:

  1. Wow, you are very busy!!! Your photos are lovely and heartwarming! It is pretty hot here in Montreal, but a little less humid. Only a LITTLE, though. LOL!
    Happy Birthday to your grandson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting a lot of deep cleaning done. I hope that will be me next week. How do you freeze your peaches? Do you cut them into chunks or slices? Happy Birthday to your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your day sounds lovely, and I bet future you will enjoy those peaches. I have started on a project that was not on my summer list - that's how it goes sometimes. Gotta move when the spirit tells you to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't canned peaches before. I usually freeze slices individually and bag them up. I tend to freeze a lot, instead of canning. I hope you enjoyed your porch time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are the types of jobs that no one notices when you do them but you feel so good to have done it. :)
    Canning is something I've never gotten into. Seems like so muc work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Grandma used to bottle fruit. Canning wasnt a thing here, I freeze most things,

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cute picture of your GS and his buddy. Peaches will sure be good this winter, so much easier to freeze than to can. I like your bakers rack, I have one in the garage, maybe I'll get it out, clean it up and bring it inside for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up with canned peaches, and long ago I did a little canning. I don't like peeling peaches though, so now I just buy nectarines to eat fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your projects!!! I can't make things that look "perfect" either 🥰🫂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great project, dessert with peaches and photo.
    I wish you a nice rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy those peaches, whatever you do with them! Friends took us to the Winona Peach Festival one year when we visited them in Canada. I'd never eaten such luscious fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello GM. I love that you break down your jobs in smaller portions and are able to get much accomplished that way. I try to do the same. Have you ever tried just washing your peaches with water, wrapping them in cling wrap and putting them in freezer bags. That's the way my mother-in-law taught me to do them...then when we want peaches, I just remove them from the freezer, run them under a bit of warm water and the skins will peel right off by just rubbing the peach skin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For me, I have a box in my pantry to keep all of my plastic lids in and just like it is for you.......they always wind up to be a mess in no time. It seems like I am forever reorganizing them. Your scones look delicious! Happy birthday wishes to your grandson! Enjoy your porch sitting and these summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to your Grandson! I just peel my peaches without scalding them:) I finally conquered my containers I got rid of some of the odd ones and bought all ones the same so they stack well:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to grandson M !! I love your cute ‘houses’ and always enjoy seeing you tea cups! You’ve been busy cleaning, enjoy that porch time! Cheers, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kive your chatty posts, feel like I am there on the porch with you.
    This was a tough day. I hope tomorrow will be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to your grandson.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete