Sunday 7 July 2019

An Owl and a Birthday

This morning when we walked along the path in the park we heard the sound of alarmed birds so we stopped to see what might be happening. The birds making all the noise were a pair of Western Tanagers and what they were objecting to was a Barred Owl.  Seeing an Owl is not something that happens very often and we were thrilled to watch it and take pictures. It was watching us too....



...probably wishing we'd move on


...and finally just turning his head around and ignoring us.  Maybe it even went to sleep. After all, isn't that what Owls do during the day?


In the second and third photos you can see one of the Tanagers ( probably the male with his reddish head) right above the Owl.  No, he isn't sitting ON its head, it just looks a bit like it.

Besides our interesting walk, this day was a day to celebrate M's 10th birthday. He's the youngest of the grands and a real sweetheart.  We're so blessed to see him every day and watch him grow up.

Thanks for visiting,  GM


12 comments:

  1. How neat to get photos of the owl and tanager! I think the owl looks like he just ignoring everyone lol. Happy 10th birthday to M! I know not everyone has the good fortune to have their children and grandchildren livng nearby... I grateful we've been blessed ours stayed in the same city. Have a great week, G.M.! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does look as if it is sitting on the owls head...lol! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thrill to see him and even get to take pics. Happy birthday to M!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to see that owl on your walk. You got some great pictures. I'm glad you pointed out the tanager as I wouldn't have noticed it. Just the other day I was telling my husband how much I would love to see an owl in person. What a thrill. Glad you shared yours.
    Happy Birthday to your grandson. He is also blessed to share such a special relationship with his grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember if I commented! (or which blogs instantly post comments!) That would be so special to see that owl! some animals always have a sense of mystery to them, and owls are one of them for me! Wonderful about your youngest Grand's birthday! a blessing to be near by to family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful owl! Fun to see some new things on a walk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great to have an owl sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How special to get these pictures of your owl neighbor!! It is something that would never happen in my neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We live in town and still see a lot of birds but never an owl!! I loved the pictures, he looked like he was annoyed you were in his territory. lol Happy Birthday to M

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat to see that owl and then to be able to get a photo of him!

    We've got four ravens around our home and when I take a walk with my dog they circle around us and fly low near our heads, well I think it's because their nests must be near, they don't really like us around.

    Isn't life beautiful :-)

    Have a blessed day~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear owls here all the time but we've never actually caught sight of them... how nice that you got to observe one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a very fun thing to see on your walk! The tanager is so colorful!

    ReplyDelete