Saturday 10 August 2019

This and That


The hardwood floor in our dining room needed to be sanded and given a couple of coats of varnish. Dh managed to do it in one day!  The varnish was applied 3 times, at 5 hour intervals. By this morning we were able to put the furniture back ( with the help of able-bodied sons).





DH has been cleaning up under the porch which I'm sorry to say has been a place to put things that we don't really know what to do with. He found some sleds which have been around forever. I remember pulling the grands around in them when they were little and we had snow.
I intend to put them up for sale. If they don't sell they'll go to the thrift store.


Same thing with these old bushel baskets. If I remember correctly I used the green ones to hold Christmas presents  way back when.


Our pole beans have decided to attach themselves to the Clematis.We're eating beans every day now and enjoying them. The season is just about over though.


I was stung by a wasp while on my walk last Tuesday. It stung me between the fingers of my left hand causing my hand to swell painfully. I don't like taking pills but after a day of putting up with the discomfort I gave in and took an antihistamine which helped. I had to take a second pill when the first one wore off. Now my hand is no longer swollen but very itchy.

That's what's happening around here. What's happening at your house?

Thanks for coming by today,   GM

12 comments:

  1. I am always so glad to see a post from you...I usually visit of the morn, but didn't get to this morn. I love those sleds...I hope someone buys them. They would be so nice with a little one. I like the idea of using the bushel baskets for presents. OH! Your dining room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow, a wasp sting can be so painful. Try baking soda on it, it can reduce the pain and heat.
    Your floor looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good finds under your porch! Wow on the floor, we need to do that, but somehow don't think it would happen that fast. My beans are just about ready. Didn't help that I planted some seeds that were a few years old and none came up, so had to start over. I did stagger the seeding, so hopefully well extend the season a bit longer. I got stung by a wasp on the back of my neck. One of the wasps that make exposed comb in my greenhouse. I thought we had an agreement...... guess that one didn't get the memo. I grabbed a plantain leaf and chewed it up and slapped on the sting which I couldn't see, and it took the pain away. It did swell up and a large patch was swollen and hard, and yes very itchy for a few days, but about the 4th day I could tell it was going away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your wasp bite...ouch! And such an awkward place as between fingers yet. Here it's been a messy Saturday with hubby starting to paint the interior of the garage. Like you, there's been alot of stuff deposited in the cupboards in the garage that we have to sort and discard. I am now baking 2 peach pies after we'd had our evening meal....a messy job on a Saturday night but our kids will enjoy them tomorrow. The fresh peaches here are probably not as great as what you have in BC but to us on the prairies, they're pretty special at this time of year! Hope your hand feels better soon!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear! do be careful with wasp stings, can be serious! :( Glad it was not worse... hope it gets fully better soon... do take care! that was a LOT of work re-doing that floor! looks great! Have a peaceful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful wood floors.
    Love those sleds and the bushel baskets too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool sleds! I hope the itching subsides soon. That can be as bad as the painful part! My house could use some decluttering, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wood floor looks beautiful! You keep such a sparkling clean house. Those are the cutest sleds. Bet you sell both really fast. The baskets are nice too. Sorry you were stung by a wasp. Those stings hurt for such a long time. I haven't had a wasp sting in years, but there are plenty of wasp around now, and yellow jackets too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! hope by now the itching has subsided. Your room is lovely. Like to sit down and have a cuppa with you there. So far so good with the blog, don't like that business at all. Blanching them doesn't take long, you'll need to score top and bottom, pop them in the hot water for a few minutes, and then into the cold that skin will peel right off. This works on tomatoes also. Have a great day. Thank you for stopping over my place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What cute sleds! Of course we have no snow but oh how darling those sleds are! Would be great decoration for winter for you to use. Hope the itching stops. My 11 year old grandgirl got popped by a wasp in the top of her head this weekend. It was crazy. She's fine but it itched her so bad. Floors looking good girl. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sleds are adorable. Someone will certainly enjoy having them! Sorry about your wasp sting, so unpleasant! I'm writing each morning still, and painting some too. Hot, hot, hot here. Staying inside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those sleds look like fun! I got stung today...no fun:(

    ReplyDelete