Wednesday 28 August 2019

Tomato Galette and a sign


Yesterday I made a tomato galette for supper. I found the recipe on  Barefoot Mom's blog. If you  visit Debi's blog you'll see her galette which was far nicer looking than mine. Those of you who know me well  will suspect that I changed the recipe. I pre-roasted my tomato slices and another change was spreading a thin layer of mayo on the crust before the cheese.  I did not expect my DH to like it so I also made other things he enjoys but to my surprise he actually said he would happily eat this "tomato pie" again.


I used a disc of my own pie dough ( from the freezer)  and since I made such a small savoury pie ( I used an 8 inch pie plate) I had enough dough  to make a rustic cherry pie as well. Cherry pie is DH's fav.  ( I just used a can of cherry pie filling).


My oldest daughter has been blessed with talent such as I do not have. She has made many of the leaded stained glass windows and other smaller items that hang in my windows.  The latest thing she made for me is this stencilled sign which DH glued on to a board which fits exactly into the tray over my stove. The tray has tiles that show a rooster and hens. This sign is removable so I can go back to my original tray any time.


It's another hot day here, 30C which is the high 80's...too warm for my comfort. I'm so thankful for the portable A/C which we bought for the enclosed porch.  Last year I was unable to be out there any sunny summer day because the large windows ( facing South) made it unbearable. Now with the A/C and a fan to distribute the air over to where my swing sits I can be comfortable in my favourite spot.

Thanks for coming by,   GM


13 comments:

  1. Roger likes all pies, but cherry is his favorite, too. This looks good to me...and your daughter sounds so talented! I like your new sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pies look delectable! I'm glad you're able to use your porch. It would be a shame not to be able to. It's cool here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a plum galette today. I like the easier way of pie baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked the "tomato pie" and doubly glad that hubby liked it too! Your cherry pie looks delicious, I haven't made a fruit pie in a while, but apple season is upon us so one will be coming! I like the sign your daughter made for you, she is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both those pies look delicious. I still haven't tried making a crust like that. Cherry pie is my favorite too. Mama used to call and say, "if you will come and spend the night with me, I will make you a cherry pie". Sure would love to have one of her pies. :) Your daughter did a good job. The tray is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one I'm going to try, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the pies look delicious. I've never made this kind of pie before.
    Lemon Meringue Pie is my favorite though cherry is a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must tell you...I made this today thinking it would last two days. No! It was eaten very happily by both of us. What a good recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really makes me want a cherry pie! I may have to try the tomato pie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About pulling my coneflowers...you would not believe them....they reseed themselves. I started out with just a couple plants and they have literally about taken over the flowerbed. Specially with me being down last year with my leg and recovering from that. If God is willing, I am going not going to let them take over next spring.

    I really need to work on that flowerbed anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sign is perfect for a baker such as you are :-) I really want to try the tomato galette. I don't have any tomatoes in my garden but my neighbor gives me some of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THat's wonderful that you can enjoy your porch again in the summer. The sign your daughter made for you is very beautiful, very French. What a sweet gift. Now if I had both the cherry pie and the tomato pie in front of me ... the cherry one would be GONE :)

    ReplyDelete