Sunday 1 December 2019

Sunday Walk

The temperature had risen a few degrees above freezing by the time we went for our walk this morning.  First thing we saw of any interest was an Eagle in the middle of the lake eating something.



Its mate was sitting not far away, in a tree that they seem to prefer.


Further on we noticed a heron sitting high in a tree, a perch they rarely choose. By the time I got my camera out he was aware that we were watching him and as he took off I snapped his picture.


He landed on a dock close to the boardwalk and strutted around for a bit. He looked annoyed that we had disturbed him.


There were new arrivals, Northern Shovelers.  They were too far away for me to get a decent picture but...


...here's a nice clear one off the internet.

 The seagulls were swimming around in the areas of open water. There's a thin skim of ice forming now.


Someone must have dropped this goose off . It looks like a farm goose and is very tame. It came right up to us looking for a handout. The Canada Geese and resident ducks seem to avoid it, poor thing.



Not an exciting sort of walk but satisfying to get out in the crisp air.  Rain showers are in our forecast so that means getting out the umbrellas.  Would you believe I had only ever seen an umbrella in a book as a child?  People on the prairies ( at that time) did not own such a thing.

That's my day so far.  Later youngest son and oldest granddaughter are coming to play Mexican Train. That's always a lot of fun.

I want to say a heartfelt thank you for the anniversary wishes. 

Thanks for stopping by,

        GRANNY MARIGOLD



12 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the heron in the tree! While grocery shopping we spied some ducks in the parking lot. A lady was feeding them popcorn and they were gobbling it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You capture some really great photos on your walk.
    Love the heron.
    Have fun playing Mexican Train!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a very good walk to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that poor goose!!! hope you had fun with the family coming! what beautiful birds you saw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a walk like this....that is a great capture of the heron taking flight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You saw some interesting birds on your walk. I would have a soft spot for that little goose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that there were birds to entertain you on your walk, but I am a little puzzled how you determined that the Great Blue Heron was a male.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should have called it an :it". smile

      Delete
  8. My kids always get so excited when they see a huron.. well, any birds really. The Northern Shoveler looks like a mallard to me. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures today, I guess Mr Eagle got him a fish to feast on. I also enjoyed the duck, I to watch ducks, they can be very comical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of good wildlife on your walk! Hope the goose can make do in the wilderness. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete