Tuesday 7 September 2021

Brown or Black

We had quite a warm day today and I spent a lot of time sitting on the porch and just looking over the back yard. At this point the Sedum and Brown-eyed Susans are providing the most colour.  Then I started thinking about Brown-eyed vs Black-eyed Susans and which was right. To my surprise when I went to look it up I found this: 

What is the difference between brown-eyed Susan and Black Eyed Susan?
Brown-Eyed Susan and Black-Eyed Susan are not the same flower! Brown-Eyed Susan will be somewhat taller than Black-Eyed Susan and bloom later. The flower heads of Brown-Eyed Susan (1-2″ diameter // 2.5-5 cm) are also smaller than Black-Eyed Susan (3″ diameter // 7.5 cm).


I went out to cut a couple of my flowers and I found that some are bigger and some are smaller. So that doesn't help me know what mine are.
 


Then I found this which seems to say that they are the same plant:

Many of the rudbeckias have dark cones: brown or nearly black, and so have been called black-eyed or brown-eyed Susans.

I was so confused I decided I'd better have a big cup of tea. I used my Autumn mug.


 


If you have any thoughts on brown or black eyed Susans let me know in the comments.

G.M.

20 comments:

  1. Love your teacup! :-) I always learn something from your blog, but I'm confused too. Ha! I got some great tea in London. I love my cup of tea in the morning.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very very interesting! I have some of these shining flowers in my garden. It's a sunny morning today, and in a few minutes I will go and look, what kind I have! I alreadxy had 3 cup sof wonderful morning tea!!

    Greetings! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always figured they were the same. And, I didn't need a cup of tea! (Just kidding).
    That's a pretty cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some black eye Susan and they have small flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know there were brown eyed ones...I have these in my yard and have always called them black eyes. I have since pulled them for the year as they were going to seed, and have put them around the back yard in hopes they will spring up all around. They are prolific. I started with two plants, and now they are growing every year more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all very pretty! Just enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know. I have a climbing vine with small flowers that is called a black eyed Susan vine, but it is a Thunbergia. Both cone flowers - Echinacia, and Rudbeckias are referred to as both black eyed and brown eyes. So call them what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always make time for tea - I do like your Autumn mug.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always called them Black Eyed Susans and didn't know there was a difference. Either way they are very pretty and one of my favorite flowers. Also they are Maryland's state flower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about the different Susans!! That is very interesting. Hope you're enjoying a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cup of tea sounds like a good response!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of brown eyed Susans. Interesting!
    I love your fall cup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes it seems the names of flowers / plants gets way too complicated. Perhaps you have a mixture?
    Enjoy their lovely cheerfulness, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always assumed they were the same, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No matter what you call them, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whatever kind of Susan they are I sure do love them! Such an adorable mug too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. That IS confusing. I didn't know there was such a thing as a brown-eyed Susan. Hmmm. Learning all the time. Don't worry, just enjoy. Right? :) Tea is always a good idea. Love your autumn cup! I'm having iced tea and loving it. Hugs from the states!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought they were all black-eyed Susans. Funny how confusing it gets to be when you read about the flowers. So many names and teeny tiny differences. Bet the cup of tea helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tea time! Autumn flowers and this is a really good season :)
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete