Monday 5 February 2024

Joanna Reed

 As I. reread my old issues of Victoria magazines I discover articles that  didn't catch my eye on other rereads. That happened yesterday when I was paging through  the January 1990 issue and came upon an article about Joanna Reed. There's a picture of her and I noticed that she was quite elderly which made me realize that she would have passed away years ago. Nevertheless, the article was about her life and how she  tended her beautiful four season garden. She had a vision of creating four crewel curtain-panels for her livingroom  each one depicting the splendours of a different season. She worked free hand, inventing as she went,shaping flowers , holding up her woolen yarns to match their colours.

She must have succeeded in finishing all four panels because the article states that two thousand devoted gardeners make the pilgrimage to Malvern, Pennsylvania in the course of a year's time to see her garden and also her four-season masterpiece. I couldn't find much on the internet about her. There seem to be many other women with the same name. I tried to get a few pictures of her work from the magazine.
The detail here is from her first panel, winter.



I hope I haven't bored you too much. Having nothing much to blog about today I thought I'd introduce you to the work of this woman who continued to tend her garden and do her handwork into her nineties.


Thanks for visiting,  GM


17 comments:

  1. Very cool, GM! That’s inspiring! ❤️Pom Pom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always interested in the lives of women gardeners, and hadnt heard of Joanna. There is quite a lot on Google about her but few real pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! That must be a beautiful place to visit. I'm glad to think that she made her dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I remember reading that article years ago, and thought it an immense project. Being creative and active as we age is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, look! I have back my picture!!! ;:))) But I cannot translate, so I cannot make an understanding comment. Many greetings and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to look her up. The panels must be wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I could translate! Sorry, that she died, because this article is already more the an 20 years old. So you found a treasure of a very valuable person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful pattern and I think it's wonderful that you've recently discovered her. To handstitch all of those panels must have taken a LONG time.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Granny, your story about Joanna just made me remember that many years ago I had embroidered a picture of the four seasons and had it framed. All I can remember is that it turned out beautifully and now I wonder what happened to it? Things like that happen I guess. I love those Victoria magazines. I sometimes get great ideas for books to read from them too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of her. I will have a look on the internet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone to admire, gardening into her nineties, wow. I must admit I'm finding it harder now I'm older.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not boring at all! In fact, quite interesting - I find most articles about needlework interesting because it is, after all, art — especially when you are designing it yourself with no pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this kind of post! I've not heard of her before, but it was so interesting to read about her here. Never boring! I will have to look to see where exactly Malverm PA is. If it isn't too far, it's someplace I would enjoy going this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow amazing work I am shocked you can find nothing about her. I love victoria magazine but rarely see it. Very nice you kept the old ones.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Her garden does sound like a lovely place to visit. How wonderful to find a treasure like this article in an old magazine that anyone might have thrown out.

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cherished copies of the original Victoria magazines through several moves but had to finally leave them behind. I recall that the later issues never achieved the elegance of the earlier years. Joanna Reed's gardens and her stitchery were memorable.

    ReplyDelete