Saturday 3 February 2024

Saturday Chit Chat

 


 It's just past noon so I suppose I shouldn't have used the above photo but it was just too cute. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if I had already used that exact picture in the past.

I am rather disappointed in these pears that I bought this past week. They are a lovely colour but very hard and tasteless so far. I hope they'll at least ripen enough so I can make the cake I've been wanting to try...Chocolate and Pear. Sounds like something we would love 💗


So today's baking was not going to be that Choc./Pear Cake so I used some lemon juice that I had frozen and made some lemon custards and Ina Garten's Lemon Loaf. I've made it before and it always turns out. The only thing is because I used frozen juice ( I didn't have a lemon)  I didn't have the grated rind that she included.
I should have added a bit of Lemon extract. Oh well, no doubt it will be gone before the weekend is over and no one will complain that it isn't lemony enough.


 I try to visit  everyone on my list of blogs and especially those who comment but there are some friends that comment faithfully but don't have a blog so I can't visit them in return. Diane in northern wis is one and recently there have been two others that I want to welcome and thank for coming by. Holly and Buttercup....I hope you'll come by often. I appreciate your visits.

That's it for today. Thanks for visiting,   GM

 

 



13 comments:

  1. Pears seem to have a 10 minute window between being very hard, and inedibly squishy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the pears. Hope they get soft soon.
    The lemon custard sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quit buying pears in November, when, like Elizabeth above said, they are either hard or instantly squishy. Will canned pears work for your cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, pears can so often be tricky to gauge ...

    Happy weekend wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have much luck with buying pears so I usually resort to the canned variety. Can you use those? That lemon loaf and custard look very good. Dennis is particularly fond of lemon desserts so he would love to visit this weekend. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw...thanks for mentioning me, Granny. You're so sweet. I do love visiting your blog....it's always interesting with your walks, your beautiful flowers, your great visits to the thrift shop, your books that you read, the kitty, and much more. Oh and I love the things you bake too! Just wish I had your energy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have several people who don't have blogs so I can't respond to their comments.
    I wrap hard pears in brown paper sandwich bags for several days.
    Have a sweet Sunday!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have pretty good pears here we like the plain or in a salad, Far Side

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our pars in the supermarket are the same! Sorry! Good idea to make Chocolate and Pear!!
    I suppose, the cakes you made were a great success and the next , too!

    Beautiful quote with the seeds of our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pears are so finicky, I find. A pear chocolate cake sounds like a very good thing. I hope you get to make one! Lemon loaf is always good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pears do look yummy...it''s a shame that they aren't ripening enough. Your lemon loaf and lemon custards look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thé pears here are also no ripe and tasteless I often cook them with apples in a compote otherwise you can eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i always enjoying seeing what you are baking, Mary Jane. You're a good baker! For a while I bought a pear or two (choosing the ones that SMELLED like pears!), and stewed them lightly. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete