Sunday 22 April 2018

Earth Day

It's earth day and I thought I'd post an appropriate poem, one I very much like. It's by Helena Coleman, a Canadian poet born I believe in 1860 or thereabouts.
Coleman has written another poem along the same lines if you're interested in looking it up it's called Earth Moved in Space.

More Lovely Grows The Earth

More lovely grows the earth as we grow old,
More tenderness is in the dawning spring,
More bronze upon the blackbird's burnished wing;
And richer is the autumn cloth-of-gold;
A deeper meaning, too, the years unfold,
Until to waiting hearts each living thing
For very love its bounty seems to bring,
Intreating us with beauty to behold.

Or is it that with years we grow more wise
And reverent to the mystery profound–
Withheld from careless or indifferent eyes–
That broods in simple things the world around,
More conscious of the Love that glorifies
The common ways and makes them holy ground?




We had a lovely day, sunny and warm. We went for a long walk then I spent some time just sitting on my enclosed porch. The grands came up to keep me company and took turns taking pictures of me.
Here's me with my mug of tea.


I hope you had a lovely day too.

Thanks for coming by,

Granny Marigold



12 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the poem. I really enjoyed it and will look up some of her other work. That is a wonderful picture of you looking so peaceful and happy. There is nothing like grandchildren to give us grandparents a happy glow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a cute grandma!

    And the poem is true for me -- the earth is lovelier to me all the time! And I've heard others say that...

    Happy Spring! I'm glad you have that porch to sit on! And tea, and grandchildren who love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I appreciate the beauty of the earth more now that I am "mature", or that I just have more time to contemplate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely picture of you!!
    Hope you enjoy the sunshine today.
    Love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that poem too. I had never read it before. It fits exactly how I feel about spring and my post today. Maybe all this beauty I see and feel does have something to do with growing older. That is such a warm sunny place to sit and enjoy your tea. Wish I could sit there with you. I love the flowered quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely poem you have shared with us. I think it is so true that the older we get the more we appreciate the beauty of things in nature more.

    What fun your Grands must have had taking turns taking pictures of you. You have a lovely place to sit and relax with your cup of tea...and smile for pictures. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very nice photo of you, just a hint of a smile! We did our last egg run to White Rock yesterday before the market starts in two weeks. I did do some weeding outside, I'm sure this week the weeds will double in size. I went to our favourite nursery today, it was VERY busy. Lovely poem, even as a child/teenager, I appreciated nature so much. Probably see it through different eyes now. I've always like this poem by William Henry Davies

    What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
    No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.
    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.
    No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.
    A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely poem, thank you for sharing. It would be nice to join you for a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that picture of you, and I love your relaxing spot!
    I took a short walk. It was in the low 60's, but the wind was chilly. But I enjoyed getting outside. Thanks for the beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch looks cozy and inviting! My grands love to get their hands on my camera and take photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the poem. Nicee picture of you relacing on the porch swing. We use to have a swing when we lived in Michigan. We didn't have room to bring it the day we moved but I really wish we would have taken it to the neighbors for us to get later. We just bought a two seater glider/swing and I enjoy sitting in that now under our porch even if it is not enclosed. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice picture of you on your swing! Happy Earth Day -- also my hubby's birthday.

    ReplyDelete