Thursday 19 April 2018

Spring Flowers


At last we seem to be having nicer weather and the flowers that have been waiting for the sunshine now are blooming happily!  I enjoy going out each day to see how they're doing.


The wild or fringed bleeding heart is spreading at an alarming rate and I am forced to resort to strong herbicide to control it.  Here, under a Rosebush it looks quite lovely but it also spreads  through any perennials in its way. To think I don't even know how it came to my yard. Probably a bird was responsible.  According to the internet  Dicentra formosa is hardy and tenacious. Yes, it definitely is that.


               My Leopard's Bane is in full bloom with a Bergenia almost engulfed.


I think this is Rock Cress. It blooms faithfully every year and asked for nothing. If only more perennials were that agreeable.
I've been enjoying the nicer weather, I hope wherever you are that you are also having milder days.
What's blooming in your yard?  Do you have any invasive plants, and if so how do you cope with them?  I'd like to hear about it.

Have a great weekend,



Granny Marigold

12 comments:

  1. Native bleeding heart is lovely and is something I welcome to spread where it does. I love leopard's bane, but it does not love my garden. It does not persist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plants are looking gorgeous. We have only just made a start here with very little blooming with the exception of clumps of daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are beautiful...and I love that you have so many of them in containers! Just lovely. I think the most invasive thing I have in my flowers right now are the Forget-Me-Nots in the perennial bed. My cousin told me that I'd have to watch them because they spread like wildfire. I have to say she was certainly right about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed your flower photos. Spring here seems so far away, it's nice to see that it has arrived somewhere! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! the bleeding heart takes me back to a time when I had some in my garden... for a few years it lived, but it needs cold winters and ours often are not cold enough. Maybe I should try it again and hope for a cold winter? ;-) I've never seen it growing so thick and lush as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We see lots of the wild bleeding hearts on our morning walk down our trails. Have never had it start in the garden, and there are various areas I'd be happy to see it. My biggest problems are buttercups and couch grass, but I just either leave it be or dig it out forever more!!. In our field we have some patches of Wild Chervil, which is considered an invasive species. Same with that, I dig it out or pull it out, and try to make sure it never goes to seed. Haven't got rid of it yet, but at least it is sort of under control. I'm an organic gardener, so no herbicides used here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so many lovely flowers in your garden. It’s been much nicer weather wise here too, so nice to finally get some sun xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to imagine that the bleeding heart could be such a monster. It's so pretty! But, I know plants can get out of hand. You are such a master gardener! Glad you're getting sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It really is spring there! We had snow today. Boo.
    We have some evasive catmint or some such thing. I should go dig it out tomorrow after all the moisture which should have made the soil soft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! All those flowers are wonderful! I'm SO ready for flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only have a few of those Bleeding Hearts, wish mine would spread like that! I just have weeds that spread...oh and Tansy and my husband hates Tansy:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is looking gorgeous!! I'm so impressed. Your planters are so nice. And that bleeding heart!!! I'm very jealous. I tried to nurture one along here, but it died. I was so careful, and I've had success with one in two other yards :( And you have it WILD, and taking over! Oh, I wish. Glad you have sunshine and warmth and spring :)

    ReplyDelete