Saturday 27 March 2021

Beverly Cleary dies at 104

 

Author Beverly Cleary has died at the age of 104.  I didn't read her books as a child but I discovered them when my children were around 10 or so. Who could resist Ramona Quimby or Ralph S. Mouse?  She delighted children with her stories.   May she rest in peace.

Another great author of children's books was Jean Little.  She was born in Formosa where her parents were medical missionaries.  She was blind from birth but that didn't keep her from becoming a teacher and writing over 50 books. I own a number of them and enjoy rereading them from time to time.  She had a succession of guide dogs that she loved and cherished.
Jean Little died in April of last year at the age of 88.
 


 Lois Lowry is an author of books for slightly older children and is still very much alive. She was born March 20, 1937 and wrote one of the best books for young adults that I've read. The Giver was banned in certain states for a few years. Some people thought it was inappropriate for children. I personally can't remember anything that was inappropriate but then even Charlotte's Web was for a time banned because  "talking animals are blasphemous  and unnatural" and passages about the spider dying were considered inappropriate.

Do any of these authors have a special place in your heart? I'd love to know. Also, if you have other favourites please mention them.


Granny M



 

21 comments:

  1. Oh I loved Ramona...such delightful books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean Little, I know that I have read one of her books and really liked it! Beverly Cleary is a gem! I don't know if I have read_ The Giver_ but I believe have read others....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our daughter loved Beverly Cleary books. She sent me a text to tell me Ms. Cleary had died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire these women seeing these portraits of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Lois Lowry, but I have read some of Beverly Cleary and Jean Little's books. I read yesterday that Beverly Cleary had died. She was a wonderful woman from what I've heard and read. Did you know she was a librarian and actually checked out and handed Debbie Macomber her first book at the libray. I guess I'm just assuming you know that Debbie Macomber is also an author. :-). I have lots of her books and have met her several times here in Washington. She lives over by Seattle.
    Take care and I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love Beverly Cleary, her books drew you into the story and you couldn't put them down until they were finished. Another children's author that I true love is Robert McCloskey, he wrote the Homer Price books. I have read them so many times, to children and just for myself. The Doughnut Machine is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered Beverly Cleary when my kids were little too. How about Judy Blume and Roald Dahl, they are good ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont remember my girls reading any of those except Charlotte's Web...it is still a favorite of mine. But I used to volunteer at school and I sure remember the other kids checking out Cleary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a child, I read and reread Beverly Cleary's works, especially loving anything where Ribsy figured prominently! I spent hours upon hours in our local library "back in the day," riding my bike for miles to reach it, when children were safer in this world and were so much freer. I also loved the series (horsey books) by Walter Farley and by Maugerite Henry. I am glad Ms. Cleary's life was a long one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered Beverly Books as a young teacher teaching fourth grade beginning in 1966. I haven't read very many of them but my students loved them. Lowry's books, The Giver, and Number the Stars, are both wonderful, serious books.
    As a child I loved listening to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House books. My fourth grade teacher read most of them to us. I read many myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I have to wonder about all the protest against books and other stuff. Crazy. Loved Charlottes Web. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also became aware of Beverly Cleary books when my kids were little. My daughter Debbi, loved all her books. Wow 104! That't a good long life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these authors and their books. Also Keith Robertson and his Henry Reed books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Thanks for visiting. I don't think I've read any books by these 2 authors. I'll see if I can get a few from the library.

      Delete
  14. I've enjoyed reading all three of these women's stories - such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was a fan of the Laura Ingels Wilder books and I adored the TV series Little House On The Prairie. My Grandchildren are all fans of Roald Dahl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I heard that Beverly Cleary had died it took me right back to my elementary school library days. Her books were high on my list to check out. At that time my number one favorites were by Carolyn Haywood. I loved reading about Betsy and her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know that I read any Beverly Cleary books I could get my hands on! I think her books for teens, "Fifteen" and "The Luckiest Girl", never really achieved the popularity of her children's books, but they were favourites of mine.
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the Enid Blyton books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. May God watch over Beverly Cleary. I love Lois too and Enid.. and the rest.

    ReplyDelete