Wednesday 10 March 2021

Hyacinths and Star Aniseed

 

 The Hyacinth bulbs that I planted last Fall and left behind the house to spend the winter have mostly come up. I thought I'd put 3 in each pot but only one pot has 3. I brought these in about ten days ago and they have been filling the house with their lovely scent. This picture was taken yesterday when they were in their prime.

This morning when I came down I saw that both were falling over so I tied them up as best I could then I brought another pot indoors. They are small but no doubt in the warmth of the house they'll be up and blooming shortly.


The house is filled with another pleasant smell this afternoon. DH is cooking a couple of old hens for soup. My Mom always used Star Aniseed when she cooked chickens so that went into the pot too. Also peppercorns and a large onion cut up. 
Star Aniseed can be hard to find so we went to the Asian market and bought a bag which is more than enough for us for the rest of our days. In fact, I took the broken bits and added them to some bowls of potpourri that I have in the livingroom.
 

Here's my Cyclamen that is still doing great. I have in the past had no luck keeping them in bloom so I'm enjoying this one.

Daughter Sheila is coming by after work and she'll be leaving the hospital in a few minutes. It's great having her work 5 minutes away.I think I'll go make a pot of Earl Grey tea and we'll sit outside and have a visit.

Thanks for coming by and leaving comments. I appreciate them all.

Granny M


17 comments:

  1. I love how you are getting a step ahead of spring by bringing these flowering beauties inside. I am quite sure I can smell the hyacinths right here in my living room. How lovely to have a special tea with your daughter. A few weeks ago I made a pot of tea for my granddaughters . Now they are having a cup of tea every afternoon...with a bit of sugar, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Cyclamen is doing great....and I just love the smell of hyacinths....I can imagine how great they're making your house smell....plus you're got the delicious smell of chicken soup going on too. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have tea with your daughter after her work- even if it is outside. Hopefully, we'll be able to gather a bit more soon. Hyacinths have such a beautiful scent - mine are in the ground and are coming up quite nicely. I think squirrels sometimes come and steal my bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hyacinths perfume.
    I have cyclamens on my windows, but it’s hard to know if they need water or had too much it is difficult to keep them. I hope they will survive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Grany Marigold, these colours violet and rose are the colours of the comnig Sunday "Laetare". This means, the Easterlight is shining on this Sunday in this special quiet time before Easter.

    Have a happy and healthy time with always delicious meals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Plants G.M. We're in Autumn now- with some Storms about. Stay well there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that lovely scent, doesn't it just fill up the house my favorite by far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are so beautiful. the hyacinth that we had blooming was almost overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a lovely visit! Soon the days will be a bit warmer and sitting outside after work will be even more enjoyable.
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hyacinths are so lovely. Unfortunately I find their perfume too strong for me with my breathing problems but they are beautiful. Do you add a garlic clove and some ginger in your chicken soup as well? Enjoy your visit with Sheila! I wish I lived closer so I could pop by and join you!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh your plants are beautiful. A visit with your daughter sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When forced bulbs bloom in the house they get a bit topsy turvy. But they do still smell great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice flowers. We've never been aware of star aniseed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the scent of hyacinths and jonquils during the springtime. Star aniseed is usually available here - I've not tried it with chicken but it goes really well when making mulled apple juice :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blooms, and I just love that spring doily under the cyclamens!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty flowers! Looks real spring like!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how lovely!!! flowers are such a blessing! Your Cyclamen is so beautiful!!!! I have one but it does not have many blooms now but our small orchid has buds on it and that's exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete