Saturday 9 September 2017

Recipe





Sandy asked for the recipe for the muffins I made and showed in my last post. BTW Sandy... thanks for leaving a comment. I see you don't have a blog else I'd come and visit you there.



Orange/Date Muffins

 
 1 orange,seeded and coarsely chopped but not peeled
2/3 cup orange juice

1/2 cup chopped dates ( I use more)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
 1/2 tsp salt

Blenderize the orange plus the orange juice.

Combine butter, sugar then add the egg.
When it's combined add the OJ mixture then the dry ingredients plus the dates.

Bake at 400 F 15 to 17 minutes.


These muffins don't rise much so I make 12. The original recipe said it made 14 I think it was.

Robin, you'll notice that I made a few small changes to your recipe. I've made it many times now and it has 'evolved' to this point. If Sandy has any problem I'll see if I can find my original recipe and post that. Did it call for using the blender to do all the mixing?


Thanks for coming by and be sure to tell me how the muffins turned out...anyone who tries the recipe!!

Granny Marigold






15 comments:

  1. Those sound so delicious but I would have to use gluten free flour! I wonder how that would work. I have gluten free blend and it says substitute cup for cup. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is interesting. Do not peel orange. Must make a very unique muffin.

    And love your precious illustrations. Just love them.

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the orange bits in the muffin. I make my cranberry sauce during the holidays using the entire orange and I love Marmalade. The strange thing is I don't really like eating a fresh orange much.

      Delete
  3. Hi Granny Marigold, in the original recipe you whirl the orange and orange juice in the blender first, then drop in the dates, egg and butter and give it another whirl. Then you sift all the dry ingredients in a bowl and dump the mixture from the blender into that and proceed from there.
    I am so glad you enjoy the recipe!
    Have a good week!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember now why I changed the way I made the muffins. My blender got bogged down at the point when I added the butter and the dates. Couldn't handle it so the first thing I did was increase the OJ a bit but still I was having a problem so I just figured I'd make a few changes. Those are still our favourite muffins!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good recipe! I do have a blender but we hardly ever use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the recipe. They sound delicious. I have recently gotten into baking with dates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The muffin sound delicious. I had to look at your last post (of course, I am behind again). That coconut pie and the muffins look delicious! We do love coconut pie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious!Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that sounds fabulous! As soon as I read that you use the whole orange, I knew it would be so tasty. My hubby has an orange cake recipe that begins by simmering a whole orange (seedless, I guess?), and using the entire thing in the cake. It's so, so delicious. I will find some dates and make these for us. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe if you used a food processor instead of a blender, you could do all the additions as the original recipe says? Just a thought. I tend to use a blender more too because it's easier to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this! I grew up in the middle of 30 acres of oranges, and still love everything orange-flavored. It's not easy for me to find an orange that tastes as good as it should anymore, if it doesn't come from what was my father's orchard, but this recipe will make it worth finding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I would like to taste an orange picked right off the tree!! I imagine it would bear little resemblance to what we buy in the fruit market here.

      Delete