Tuesday 6 February 2018

Thrifty Finds


Tuesday is my day to go to the thrift store and see if I find anything I like. Well, today I found several items, the first being a magazine holder. It's very sturdy  ( metal, and it folds) and will hold my gardening magazines when I sit on the porch. Last year I had them stacked on the floor but the stack  kept getting kicked as we went by. ( I keep my old magazines and reread them  since age doesn't matter when it comes to gardening magazines, or cooking ones either.)


Remember I was saying how M and I had no playing pieces for Parcheesi? I found this cute little Chinese checkers game made of metal with magnetic pieces.  We have an antique Chinese Checkers board so we won't need this little one but the pieces will be great to have. I wonder if M will be sorry we aren't still using chocolate chips as markers since he was inclined to eat them when the game was over.


Spring is coming and that means flies. This  plastic dish with cover was a few cents and will get a lot of use I'm sure when we're having snacks outside.


I already had my basket full but I made a quick stop in Children's books. This book, copyright 1970, has  " the most beguiling highlights  of books that have stood the test of time not only as literary classics but as favorites with the children themselves."
Some of the  selections are from Robinson Crusoe, Heidi, Little Women, Alice in Wonderland, and many many more, Many of the books mentioned I have not read and probably never will ( like Gulliver's Travels for instance) but I will read the short bits in this book. The book, although old, is in excellent shape. It's definitely a keeper.



              This cute jacket  ( TanJay brand) was half price ( $2.50) and fits me perfectly.

 I did find a lovely Christmas tea pot but forgot to take a picture. Next time.

Just in case you wondered if my house was getting too full I will show some of the boxes ready to be dropped off next visit.


Oh yes, I found  something else, I mean someone else, at the thrift store, Karen, from Wyndson Farm blog, was doing a little thrifting too. It was nice to chat a bit with her.

Thanks for visiting again today. Please don't hesitate to leave a comment!!

Granny Marigold

17 comments:

  1. Great magazine holder! Thrifty! Ames x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find the nicest bargains at your thrift store! That magazine rack is lovely! I really like the jacket you found also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always fun to bump in to you. I had looked at the magazine holder yesterday, and wanted to get it, but didn't know where I would use it, so left it. I'm glad it was still there for you today! I went on to Value Village since it was seniors day there, and was quite pleased with a few things I found!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see where "Thrifting" can be addictive. It's a good thing you give back as you get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the magazine rack as you say perfect for your old garden magazines. How wonderful to bump into a fellow blogger for a chat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds! Hey, that peacock-pattern box looks familiar -does it contain the glass animals? Those might be collectible.
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to find a bigger box for those glass animals because somehow I found another box with some in it. They probably ARE collectible by now!

      Delete
  7. Great finds, I love to go thrifting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did find some good bargains. Love the jacket...is it a sage green or a grey? I smiled at the magazine holder...I have the very same one! BTW, love the new spring header on your blog.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence, you having the same magazine holder!
      The jacket is a lovely shade of green!

      Delete
  9. You had a good day at the thrift shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had another nice "shop" at the thrift store, GM! I hope it isn't raining every day like it was when I was up your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've had some rain every single day of the month so far but the forecast for the upcoming weekend looks promising.

      Delete
  11. You always find such neat stuff! The book looks charming. I hit the book sale today. Post to follow! Yup, as long as we donate stuff we can keep on buying stuff, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's some good stuff, GM, and you've already figured out how all of it will be used and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You found some awesome treasures! Our thrift store has been a dud lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy could I use that. Magazine rack. We have a swift store. Ten minutes away. I have been in there. I found a whole lot of Birthday cards in a box last year. Came in handy. I do wish they had cards for men. Not enough of them. Now our thrift shop is very slim on things. I notice more of a jewelry shop and knickknacks . I have enough of that.

    ReplyDelete