Saturday 10 February 2018

Visit to a Mosque

Today our local Mosque was having an open house so DH and I went. We found it very interesting and the people there were so friendly.  There is a very small minority ( is that redundant?) of locals that are rude and offensive to anyone  'different' and I am guessing this open house was a step towards more understanding.

I didn't take any pictures of people but a few of the interior.




 Here's me wearing a hijab...I wish I'd chosen a brighter coloured one but this matched my coat.




       It's a cold and clear day so we made the most of it and picked up a load of compost.....


...which middle son kindly unloaded and stockpiled for me. Now I can take my time distributing it where it is most needed.

That's my Saturday. A little different than most but a good one. I hope yours was as well.


                          Granny Marigold

12 comments:

  1. Well, let's see: I walked, I exercised, I processed lots of photos for my blog, and we worked outside for several hours this afternoon. Next up, watching Olympics. All good.
    It's good that you took the opportunity to visit the mosque. Having an understanding of "the other" is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting ready for spring! Did they have hjabs for you to wear...I wonder why they think it is necessary...you could have bedhead and no one would know:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hijabs were there just for us to try on if we wanted to. There was also a couple of women doing henna tattoos which I've wanted to try. Too bad mine wore off the same day.

      Delete
  3. You had an interesting day and nice to have a son to help you like that! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was an interesting open house. Did they provide the hijab?
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were many to choose from, some had fancy embroidery. Now I wish I'd chosen one of those to try on.

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful idea to open up the Mosque, it is something I would like to do to have a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds really interesting, it’s always good to learn new things about other people xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like an interesting tour, and of course, the new compost that you bought, I find exciting. Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How good that there is an attempt at friendliness and warmth -- I'm so glad y'all went to the mosque. Plus, their snacks looked yummy too! Hooray for new compost! Spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that you and your husband took advantage of the time to visit the open house at the mosque. I think often people are uncomfortable with "different" and so instead of learning about the difference they are rude or unresponsive at all.

    New compost...must mean spring is just around the corner for you. :) We are having snow today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't seen anything about the open house! I'm glad you went - it's always so interesting to learn about other cultures and religions.
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete